Wiggling into town

On Feb. 25, the Humphrey Coliseum will be taken over by color-coded skivvies, dinosaurs, octopi, pirates and adoring pre-school aged and up fans as popular Australian band The Wiggles stops by for a performance during its U.S. tour. The Wiggles are a musical group that entertains children through song and dance. The group, which released its first album/video in 1991 and are commonly identified by their colorful shirts or skivvies, began when members Anthony Field (blue), Murray Cook (red), and Greg Page (yellow) met at Macquarie University in Sydney while studying early childhood development. Jeff Fate (purple) was later added to the trio to complete the band.
    The Wiggles have had numerous albums, movies and TV shows since their debut and have become one of Australia’s most successful performing acts.
    Anthony Field believes that a lot of the success enjoyed by the band comes directly from its knowledge and experience with child development.
    “A lot of what we do comes from a child’s perspective,” Fields says on The Wiggles official Web site. “It’s got a lot to do with what songs are about and the language we use, and I like to think we know how to write pretty catchy tunes. Right from the start we gave a lot of thought to what was appropriate for children’s music.”
    Tickets went on sale for the concert Jan. 12, and 3,000 have already been purchased by people in Starkville and surrounding cities such as Tupelo, Meridian, and Jackson.
    “I was really shocked by the popularity of [The Wiggles],” said Brad Burton, student director of Music Maker Productions.
    The Wiggles’ concert is not the first event aimed towards children to visit the Mississippi State campus. Last year, Sesame Street Live put on a performance as well as The Barnum and Bailey Circus.
    “We try to do something every single year for the community, especially for the kids,” Burton said. “[The Wiggles concert] gives families something to do together.”
    Jan Taylor, director of the Child Development and Family Studies Center, feels that it is important for children to have something positive to watch on television.
    “In general, preschool-aged children are very responsive to music, language and action,” said Taylor. “Children learn best through something that engages them.”
    The Child Development and Family Studies Center, which serves children from infancy to four years of age, also takes into account the idea that children can actively learn through music.
    “We play music throughout the day for all ages of children,” said Taylor. Along with music, the center also uses stories and activities to engage the children in learning.
    “Children are active learners,” said Taylor. “Hands-on activities that will engage children are always the most ideal.”
    Not only are the band members getting the satisfaction of helping children learn actively through music and dance; they are reaping the benefits of success.
    The Wiggles’ first self-titled album reached gold and platinum recognition. Since then 27 video/DVD’s have been released, many of which have obtained gold, platinum, double platinum and multi-platinum awards.
    According to Australia’s Herald Sun, The Wiggles are Australia’s top entertainers, accumulating around $50 million in 2005.
    Accompanying The Wiggles during their campus performance will be Dorothy the Dinosaur, Wags the Dog, Henry the Octopus, and Captain Feathersword. For more information, contact the Music Maker Productions office at 325-2930.