Spirit of State seeks out top students

Mississippi State University’s division of student affairs is recognizing exceptional students who have worked toward improving campus life for students and faculty through the annual Spirit of State awards. The awards are given to students who have made contributions to the university through service and involvement.
    The award was established in 2006 as a means of recognizing students for their work toward improving life on campus.
    It is an award that recognizes the personal contributions that students have made towards improving student life on campus, assistant vice president for student affairs Bill Broyles said.
    “It is a unique award because we give the [awards] out to freshman all the way to graduate students,” Broyles said. “The Spirit of State award recognizes students that benefit our campus.”
    Broyles mentioned one of last year’s award-winners, Jeffery Ellis, as being a prime example of someone with the spirit of state in mind.
    While Ellis was involved in several organizations throughout his four years, he did one thing in particular. He came up with the vision for the Junction. It was his idea that students needed a tailgating area, Broyles said. He planted the seed from which the Junction project grew.
    To be selected, student s must fill out applications that include how they have been involved on campus and what contributions they have made to the university and community.
    Beginning this year, an eligible student can also be nominated to apply for the award by an MSU faculty or staff member or by a fellow student.
    The Spirit of State recipients for 2007 will be decided by a committee of last year’s winners.
    Jennifer Rupinski, a senior biological science major and 2006 Spirit of State award winner, advises interested applicants not to be modest about their accomplishments.
    Those who do not look for recognition would be good candidates for the award, she said. Many people downplay the things they do to help MSU. She has been involved in the Honor Council, the Dean Student Advisory Council and the Residence Hall Association among other campus activities.
    Rupinski said she met many inspiring people among the 2006 award recipients, some of which have become her friends. Overall there were 19 students selected to receive the Spirit of State award last year.
    Claire Fellman, a biological engineering graduate, decided to apply for the award in 2006 because of its interesting appeal and the hard work she had invested into Mississippi State.
    “Mississippi State has really been important to me,” she said. “That’s what I have strived for in my education, to further that spirit and be an investor in this university.”
    During her time at Mississippi State, Fellman was an active member of the Famous Maroon Band for five seasons in which she played bass drum and was the president of the Engineering Student Council.
    “It’s a very prestigious thing to be a part of the Spirit of State,” Fellman said.
    Junior communication major and award winner Megan Fly served as a 2006 Orientation Leader and described her experience in winning the Spirit of State award as very humbling.
    “It was an incredible honor. I’ve always had a huge heart for Mississippi State,” she said. “To be able to receive this distinguished honor was very humbling. I try to be involved in all areas of Mississippi State.”
    “[Being an Orientation Leader] gave me a chance to learn about Mississippi State and made the award even more special to my heart.”
    Fly is an Alumni Delegate, secretary of Chi Omega sorority and junior class president of Phi Kappa Phi honor society.
    “Every person on this campus has made an impact in some way. I think this award gives everybody a chance to be recognized,” Fly said.
    The deadline to submit applications for the Spirit of State award is Feb. 15. The awards will be distributed at a recognition program on March 30.