State Theatre given new life alongside Delta ‘Eat Place’

This fall, students will have two more establishments to consider for a night out.
    Located on Main Street, Doe’s Eat Place and the State Theater are scheduled to open their doors next month.”We’re planning to do soft openings,” said State Theatre general manager Emilio Garma.
    “We’ll open for family and friends, just to work out all the kinks. After that we’ll open for the public.”
    Doe’s Eat Place, founded in Greenville by Dominic “Doe” Signa in 1941, began life as a grocery store, then an all black “honky tonk” serving buffalo fish and chili before its status as a real restaurant.
    Signa operated a back door bootlegging operation for his white customers, one of which was a local doctor Signa regularly fed when the doctor was between housecalls.
    Soon after, the doctor began bringing other associates to enjoy a steak dinner at “Doe’s.” Before long, Signa was operating a full- time restaurant in the back of his store and closed down the honky tonk to focus on the restaurant.
    For years, locals flocked to the little place in Greenville for their famous steaks and hot tamales.
    The fare at Doe’s has been featured in countless magazines and newspapers including USA Today and Delta Living
    The little old building in Greenville has since blossomed into a chain restaurant in seven states.
    “We thought Doe’s would be a great choice for Starkville. A lot of people in Mississippi already recognize the name and know it means great food,” Garma said.
    “A lot of people approach us and tell us how they’re excited about having a Doe’s in Starkville.”
    Doe’s Eat Place will feature their choice T-bone, ribeye, filet mignon and sirloin steaks along with the Signa’s family recipe hot tamales.
    The hot tamale recipe was developed by Signa’s wife, Mamie, and tamales have been sold since the earliest days of Doe’s.
    Also, within the Starkville’s “Doe’s,” there will be a private banquet room for parties and receptions and a full bar
    “The bar at Doe’s will be a hangout bar, we’ll have some flat screens and people will be able to hang out on the balcony,” Garma said.
    Alongside legendary Doe’s Eat Place another institution, albeit from Starkville, the State Theater will soon welcome locals.
    “We want to be a place known for great music and atmosphere and we’re planning on having premier local and national acts,” Garma said.
    Some of the performers that are already planned are: Texas singer-songwriter Robert Earl Keen Jr., Cowboy Mouth and the Dave Matthews Band tribute band.
    The State Theatre will have three full bars throughout the building, including a bar in the balcony of the former theater.
    “We’ve remodeled the balcony and removed the old theater seating and made it easier for friends to congregate and a lot more comfortable.
    Developers behind AAA Tag Storage are also involved in the Doe’s and State Theatre project.
    The buildings that will house the two establishments have been remodeled but with an eye to preserve historic elements.
    Tin ceilings and antique light fixtures have been left throughout the building.
    Some students may remember the State Theater’s odd entrance and small spaces.
    “The old entrance used to wrap around the kitchen of the Bistro. We’ve removed all of that and opened up the front entrance, so it would be easier to enter,” Garma said.
    With the State Theatre opened, downtown Starkville’s bar scene will become even more attractive to students.
    “We want to be another good place in town with a little something for everybody,” he said.