Despite position change, Pegues strives for all-SEC

When Derek Pegues got the word that he and his head coach Sylvester Croom would be sitting down for a private talk, Pegues felt a little nervous.
    He had every right to be. Mississippi State had just lost the Egg Bowl 20-17 a few days earlier, and he plays for a coach notorious for “cleaning house.”
    After the meeting however, Pegues surprisingly left with a smile.
    So what happened in that one-on-one meeting that had the junior defensive back so concerned?
    “He told me I had a good season, but asked if I had a problem with moving to safety,” Pegues said.
    His heart could rest at ease.
    Pegues welcomed the idea of moving from cornerback to the position he played during his time at South Panola High School.
    “Both of us felt like it was better for me and for the team,” Pegues said. “Coach Croom wants me to be the quarterback of the secondary. It also gives me the chance to make more plays and get the ball in my hands more.”
    Pegues came in as a highly-touted freshman and began playing immediately in the MSU secondary, but never felt comfortable at corner.
    He started every game last season, and recorded 32 tackles with four interceptions, two in which he returned for touchdowns; one he returned against LSU.
    Yet for all the unforgettable plays he was able to make last season, there remain a few plays Pegues would rather not remember.
    Last season, he would occasionally get beat on a route or miss a tackle because his eyes were not focused where they should have been.
    “My eyes got me in a bit of trouble last season. I like to look in and see what the quarterback is doing, so I can try and make a play. That’s why safety will be better for me, so I can watch the quarterback,” he said.
    At corner, Pegues was only responsible for covering his man, but now at safety, his main responsibilities will be patrolling the middle of the field, as well as coming up and helping the linebackers in stopping the run.
    Even though he’s moved to safety, don’t expect to see Pegues trade in his quick feet and route reading skills to become a bruising punisher to wide receivers coming across the middle.
    “I’m a playmaker,” Pegues said laughing. “I want to pick off a pass; everyone else can make those big hits.”
    No one can really blame him for not wanting to give up his skills.
    After all, those quick feet have gotten him nominated for the Jim Thorpe award, which is given to the nation’s best defensive back. Those skills have also gotten him selected pre-season ALL-SEC as well.
    “Being nominated is a big honor,” Pegues said. “I feel like I’m on the radar of a lot of people this year. Hopefully I can come out and have a good season and not disappoint anyone.”
    While Croom his players receiving preseason honors, he regards them only as showing that they’re going to receive attention throughout the season.
    “Preseason honors only means that they’re going to be watching you,” Croom said. “None of it matters until the end.”
    Pegues also returns this season as State’s punt return and kickoff specialist.
    Last season, Pegues fielded 25 punts for 350 yards and he returned one for a touchdown.
    His lone score came against Jacksonville State, when he returned a punt 81 yards. Pegues finished second in the SEC in punt return average.
    But, what exactly does Pegues see when he’s attempting to return a punt for a score?
    “Well, the first thing I think about is catching the ball. After that I watch to see if the corner has a good hold-up on the gunner, if I see that, I know I’m not fair catching the ball. Then, make one or two guys miss and I feel I can take it all the way,” Pegues said.
    If playing on defense and special teams wasn’t enough to keep Pegues busy, he’s ready to give offense a try.
    “Coach, I’m ready to play a little offense,” Pegues said with a laugh. “I think we’re gonna leave him where he’s at,” Croom responded with a smile. No such luck.