Round 1: Gordon vs. Kriegel

Joey Harvey is a junior majoring in communication. He can be contacted at [email protected].Who is the top dawg at MSU? This eight-athlete tournament where you, the readers, have all the power in deciding, will determine that.
    I have chosen and seeded who I think are the eight best and most popular current athletes at State, selected across several different sports.
    Each week will feature a different matchup, and you, the fans, can vote online at www.reflector-online.com.
    The athlete with the most votes at the end will move on to the next round, until we have crowned the “Who’s the Top Dawg at MSU” champion.
    What does it take to be the top dawg at MSU? Well, it consists of on-the-field success and off-the-field notoriety. Who is the best player for his/her sport, and are they well known enough in the news and around campus? That’s who’s “the top dawg.”
    Our first matchup pits the No. 1 seed, Jamont Gordon against No. 8 seed Eva Kriegel.
    No. 1 Jamont Gordon
    Men’s Basketball
    Junior
    Nashville, Tenn.
    Guard
    If you have no idea who Jamont Gordon is, you must have been living under a rock for the past few years. Gordon started all 35 games for the Bulldogs in the 2006-2007 basketball season, being one of only two players to do so.
    He averaged 16 points per game, leading the team. He is being projected as a mid to late first round draft pick in the 2008 NBA draft, according to draftexpress.com.
    No. 8 Eva Kriegel
    Volleyball
    Senior
    Jaszbereny, Hungary
    Setter
    OK, so maybe you don’t pay as much attention to Bulldog volleyball as you do basketball. But if you have so much as glanced at a volleyball news article somewhere in The Reflector or online, Kriegel is probably mentioned. Hailing from Hungary, the Kriegel sisters, Orshi and Eva, were two of the most prominent players on the MSU volleyball team over the last few seasons. Orshi graduated last year, and Eva is in her final season on the court. Coach Tina Seals has dubbed Eva the “quarterback of the team,” so that proves just how important her contribution is.