Students need practicality class

Stephan Tillotson is an undeclared sophomore. He can be contacted at [email protected].Though the new school year has barely started, one problem is already apparent: people just don’t walk on the right side of the hall/sidewalk anymore.
    I know there are some students that obey this simple foot traffic rule. There just aren’t enough of them. Even if three out of every 10 students walked on the right side of the sidewalk the pedestrian traffic would flow much better.
    Now, this lack of sidewalk etiquette may seem like a miniscule problem. Added to other small issues, however, it can equate to chaos on campus. Issues such as jaywalking, driving through an intersection out of turn and cell phones ringing in class can often be problematic.
    To address an individual student every time one of these common mistakes is made would be too time-consuming. The easy answer is the creation of a college course that teaches students how to handle everyday situations practically.
    Just think of getting up on Monday morning and heading to “Introduction to Practicality.” A small textbook and practicality manual would be the only necessary items to take to class.
    Lectures wouldn’t be very long and hands-on activities would occur weekly.
    It would be the perfect course for na’ve freshman or cocky seniors.
    Teachers and students would see the dramatic effects of the class within a few weeks.
    Any college student would probably say they know not to jaywalk or that cell phones should be turned off in the classroom. That doesn’t mean those rules are followed, that’s for sure.
    I have seen students dash across the street without using the crosswalk plenty of times. Luckily, none who I have seen have been run over.
    As far as cell phones go, some students not only let them ring, but also answer them in the middle of a lecture.
    Unnecessary annoyances like these should be put to an end so teachers don’t have to interrupt class to deal with them.
    So, the next time you see someone walking down the left side of the sidewalk, think about “Intro To Practicality.” Think of how much more enjoyable campus life could be. I wonder why President Foglesong hasn’t thought of this class. I guess he has more important things on his mind, like running a university.
    Doc, if you’re reading this, you might want to think about “Intro To Practicality.” It just might be the future of MSU.