MSU preps for Bash crowds

The Cotton District is undergoing a drastic transformation in preparation for the eighth annual Bulldog Bash, which will feature local and nationally-known musical artists. The event is planned by the MSU Student Association and will last from 7:15 p.m. to midnight. Admission is free for the outdoor music festival.
    This year, there will only be two stages: The Grill Stage and the Main Stage next to Bin 612.
    SA President Jeremy Johnson said a third stage was set up in front of Bulldog Deli in previous years, but planners decided to set up only two stages this year because the Deli stage brought in the least amount of people.
    “This way, we can put more focus on the other two stages,” he said.
    The SA external events committee has been working on the plans for Bulldog Bash since May, Johnson said.
    “We started planning right after finals,” he said.
    The SA planned the budget for Bulldog Bash based on last year’s cost, Johnson said.
    While there was no set budget, the SA set minimum and maximum spending amounts for the event.
    Half of the funds for Bulldog Bash come from the SA, using money the university has donated, he said.
    The other half comes from sponsors and SA fundraisers.
    According to the event’s Web site, there are at least 18 sponsors for this year’s Bulldog Bash.
    Johnson said local businesses are eager to support the event.
    “They want to get in because they know how good Bulldog Bash has been,” he said.
    Johnson said he feels having the festival in the Cotton District should greatly help local businesses.
    “You can’t beat having 40,000 people in front of your business at one time,” he said. “It’s a great way to capitalize on the crowd.”
    Bulldog Deli manager Trey Goff said Bulldog Bash helps the restaurant’s business.
    “We’re normally packed the whole evening,” Goff said.
    The only downside of Bulldog Bash is that the volume of phone-in orders decreases, he said.
    “The only negatives are that the usual people who would call in orders can’t get in to pick it up,” Goff said.
    This year, Bulldog Deli will extend its hours and will remain open until 11 p.m., he said.
    Goff said he does not expect sales to change without the third stage in front of Bulldog Deli.
    While it might decrease some foot traffic, students and anyone else walking from the university or around the Cotton District will see and pass by the restaurant anyway, Goff said.
    Extra planning has to be made for the busy night, he said.
    “We plan accordingly. We have extra staff,” Goff said. “It’s busy but we’re prepared for it. We’re looking forward to it.”
    Ty Thames, chef and owner of Bin 612, said Bulldog Bash definitely helps his business.
    “It helps in the fact that it’s really, really busy and brings a ton of people in,” Thames said.
    He said Bulldog Bash does not generate any negative aspects for his business.
    “We just have to be really prepared for what goes on that night,” Thames said.
    Bin 612 added security last year during Bulldog Bash since it was so close to the stage, he said.
    Thames said the restaurant will open at 2 p.m. Friday and close around 1 a.m.
    It will re-open Saturday at 11 a.m. with some drink specials and will close at 1 a.m.
    Thames said he is pleased with the efforts put into Bulldog Bash.
    “They do a great job with building that festival and getting people down here,” he said.
    Johnson said the SA is excited about the festival and has put a lot of work into it for the students.
    “This is a great opportunity for students to come out and enjoy a great program,” he said.
    Johnson said there will be several vendors at Bulldog Bash.
    The vendors will include Mugshots and the State of the Future Campaign, which will be selling food and giving away prizes.
    Headlining the festival are country artist Eric Church and R&B singer Bobby Valentino.
    Other musical artists who will be performing include Indie rock/pop Jonezetta from Jackson, Indie rock group Red Hill City from Brandon, Southern rock band Daybreakdown from North Mississippi, Jamie Davis and Soul Gravy and the Kitchen Blues Band.