Editorial: Administration neglects student interests, why

There is a growing consensus, especially among upperclassmen, that life just isn’t the same at MSU anymore. There was a time when students were listened to and looked out for by more than just the faculty and a handful of VPs and deans. Instead, what seems to be going on now is something both disturbing and 100 percent unacceptable: Students are being shafted in favor of the almighty dollar, and frankly, we’re getting tired of it.The signs are all there. Literally. Despite receiving a 14 percent increase in funding from the state, tuition rates at MSU have continued to rise. Since 2003, tuition has increased by almost $1,000 per semester. However, the administration was somehow able to budget money from the MSU general fund to build identical signs across the street from one another, with even more of the same signs placed on other entrances to campus. It was OK to tear up a perfectly sound Barnes and Noble entrance just to repave it. Flowerbeds are torn out and replanted on a regular basis. Things are mysteriously painted brown. What is going on here?
    Another thing is parking. We’ve all got our own complaints, but come on. This is just ridiculous. While the price has gone from $25 to $65 for a commuter decal in the last year-and-a-half, parking spots have gotten harder to find and the simple task of driving on campus has become a nightmare. Furthermore, it’s aggravating to see a near-empty faculty lot in the east zone and plenty of spaces at Allen Hall. And why are these spots always conveniently available? Because the prices are a hefty $160 for those spots, so faculty and staff resort to buying standard staff decals and parking in commuter spaces, thus compounding the student parking problem. A lot of the blame has been shifted to Mike Harris, the director of parking services, but we know better than to point the finger at one person. Harris doesn’t have absolute authority, he has to do the things he’s told to do, which includes the above and spinning the situation by saying there is no problem.
    Another huge issue is the completely revamped dining experience at MSU. It used to be convenient and affordable, now it’s just a headache. Technically Aramark is the cause of that headache. MSU officials were tasked with finding a corporation to buy out dining services because it was losing money by the minute. On the bright side, it could have been bought out by a worse company. However, bigger money rolls do not offset the fact that patrons are getting bad service. At the same time, it was both immature and greedy of MSU officials to restrict Subway from accepting Flex dollars. Those responsible have eliminated for many with a meal plan the only healthy and affordable option on campus.
    Last, but certainly not least, is a disturbing incident that happened to one of the Reflector editors last week.
    In the wake of several reports of sexual assault on campus, one female editor was put on hold by the MSU Police Department for more than five minutes after calling to ask for help after her car broke down outside the office. Not only that, it was 1 a.m. and the car was broken down on Lee Blvd., a stone’s throw from the MSU police station. She hung up after the sixth minute, and no one bothered calling her back.
    Was it a one-time ordeal or does this happen on a consistent basis? The general outlook on the MSUPD has been bright . we know we have a good department of officers. But why can’t they be properly dispatched? Maybe it’s a matter of oversight.
    Perhaps the administration should shift its focus away from shutting out students, faculty and department heads, being dissatisfied with certain campus aesthetics and pleasing football fans.
    There are real problems on this campus, and they’re being neglected. We know there are good people working at the top of the MSU chain, it’s just a matter of shifting their priorities in the right places. We’ve taken notice. Now it’s the administration’s turn.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Matt Watson, news editor Erin Kourkounis, sports editor Melissa Meador, entertainment editor David Breland, photo editor Bud Sorey, online editor C.J. LeMaster, managing editor Nathan Gregory and editor in chief Tyler Stewart.