Eaves, Barbour face off in Lee

Republican Gov. Haley Barbour and John Arthur Eaves Jr., his Democratic opponent in the November election, squared off in the second debate of the campaigning season before an audience of 900 people at the Lee Hall auditorium Thursday. The debate was broadcast live through the Mississippi Public Broadcasting network via radio, television and Internet streaming.
    The debate consisted of six questions asked by Charlie Mitchell, executive editor of the Vicksburg Post and WCBI anchor Aundrea Self. Lori Ann Holland, student president of the Stennis-Montgomery Association moderated the debate.
    In his opening statement, Eaves said he challenges Mississippians to dream about what the state could be. “I believe it’s time for a new day in Mississippi,” he said. “A day where we don’t kick our parents off of Medicaid, a day where big tobacco doesn’t control state policy. We are neither black nor white, neither rich nor poor. We are all one people, we are all children of God. We need a governor who will serve the people.”
    Barbour said the focal point of the election should be about what has been done for the people of Mississippi.
    “When I was elected governor of Mississippi, the state was headed in the wrong direction,” he said. “This campaign should be about how we’ve turned Mississippi around. I’m dedicated to getting things done for Mississippi.”
    The two opponents sparred over a variety of topics throughout the night, including an increased tobacco tax that would help alleviate the grocery tax.
    “Give our families a break with this bill,” Eaves said. “This governor’s firm has received over $6 million from tobacco industries. This has killed the chance for relief while our kids are continuing to get hooked. This bill will help to cut teenage smokers. We need to do that for our children. This governor has always sided with big tobacco. I don’t appreciate it.”
    Barbour said he vetoed the tax bill because of the timing in which it was presented.
    “When this proposal was offered, it was four months after Hurricane Katrina had hit,” Barbour said. “We had no idea what the financial condition of the state was going to be in.”
    Throughout the night, Eaves pressed Barbour on his associations with interest groups.
    “There’s no question he [Barbour] has brought home the bacon. He just kept too much for himself and his friends,” Eaves said. “Big tobacco, big insurance and big oil have taken advantage of Mississippi. They’ve served his family, friends, clients and even himself.”
    Barbour said every question asked ended up being about lobbying.
    “My opponent four years ago spent millions attacking me for being a lobbyist,” he said. “I’ve seen the outcome already. Thad Cochran said what I have done in Washington D.C., my experience and my relationships, would help Mississippi. When Katrina happened, everyone understood what the senator was talking about. I have experience getting things done.”
    In their closing addresses to the audience, both candidates laid out their cases for election.
    “The governor likes to talk about his record, but it is not one to be proud of,” Eaves said. “We’ve gone from 36th to 48th in jobs. We have the highest infant mortality rate in the country and the highest drop out rate in the nation.”
    He said voluntary school prayer needs to be reinstated into Mississippi schools, education should be fully funded and teachers should be offered pay raises.
    “The governor talks about promises, but to whom? Big tobacco, insurance and oil,” Eaves said. “We need a governor who will stand up to these interests. We need a governor to serve the great state of Mississippi. I will be that man.”
    Barbour focused again on his record as governor of Mississippi during his closing statement.
    “I’m going to let the record speak for itself,” he said. “More people are working now in Mississippi than ever in its history. We’re creating more jobs. We’re creating better jobs. That’s what I am focused on, making life better for Mississippians. I ask you to ask yourselves: are you better off now than you were four years ago?”
    Reactions from the audience after the debate remained mixed. Many in the audience said they felt each candidate held their own fairly well.
    Roy Mateen, a local Starkville retiree, said his mind was made up after seeing the debate in person.
    “I think Eaves beat Barbour because of how [Eaves] kept explaining himself and Barbour didn’t,” he said. “He [Barbour] keeps dodging all of these questions while telling us what he wants to do.”
    History graduate student Ansel Prichard said Barbour sounded the strongest during the debate.
    “I feel that Barbour won the debate hands down,” he said. “His message was strong and he stayed focused on his points. I will say that at the same time I think he did a good job avoiding a lot of Eaves’ questions, though.”
    The two candidates are expected to continue sparring throughout the campaign season. Election day is scheduled for Nov. 6.