College Board seeks funding

Commissioner of Higher Education Thomas Meredith requested a 33.1 percent increase in College Board funding for expenses in his office and the state’s public colleges and universities beginning in the 2008 fiscal year. Spending has decreased since 2002 and remained steady. Meredith requested $258.8 million, which would give the College Board a budget of more than $1 billion.
    There would be $97.5 million appropriated immediately with $18.2 million going to University Mississippi Medical Center, $8.1 million to agriculture units (Alcorn State and Mississippi State universities), $0.8 million to subsidiary units, $9.5 million to university funding and $60.9 million to salary and fringe benefits.
    Director of media relations for Institutions of Higher Learning Annie Mitchell said the state has received appropriations for the last two years but salaries are not a part of those requests.
    “For the third consecutive year, the board is requesting a 5 percent increase for faculty and staff to help bring us closer to the Southern Regional Education Board average,” she said.
    Currently, Mississippi is in the lowest percentile at 85 percent, which is second only to West Virginia, current salaries average about $56,100 while the United States average is $69,800.
    “Last year we received 3.75 percent for increase in salaries from the state,” Mitchell said. “If the money is again given to the board, the increase would take effect the next fiscal year.
    Competitive faculty salaries are key to recruiting and retaining faculty.”
    Mitchell said salary raises will still be based on merit.
    Real estate and facilities committee chair Scott Ross said the College Board is responsible for the upkeep of around 1,600 buildings, more than any other state agency.
    Meredith said buildings deteriorate at a rate of one to two percent a year.
    “When maintenance is deferred, the rate increases to 4 percent,” he said.
    38.4 percent of the budget request for the 2008-2009 fiscal year will go to the building fund.
    Mitchell said the IHL provides necessary services to individuals and the state through the medical center and the agriculture units.
    The fiscal year 2008-2009 will have 30.3 percent of the budget dedicated to service.
    Mitchell said tuition will not be discussed until later.
    Only 21 percent of Mississippians have college degrees compared to 28 percent nationwide.
    According to IHL statistics, college graduates make more money and pay more taxes, have more disposable income and support local economics and attract industry.
    Also, higher education levels directly impact the median income in Mississippi.
    Meredith said higher education yields substantial economic and social benefits for all Mississippians.
    “A continued commitment to higher education by the Mississippi legislature is critical if Mississippi is to compete in the global market,” he said.
    Mike McGrevey, chief of staff of the MSU President’s Office, did not respond to multiple phone calls seeking comment.
    Wayne Bland, MSU interim vice president for finance and administration, refused to speak to Reflector reporter Cheryl Alexander.