New Wendy’s adds fresh twist

Cashier Shirley Patton serves coffee to junior international business major Victor Warnsley at Javaccinos inside the new Wendys in Starkville. The new fast-food restaurant is the first of its kind in the world to offer a coffee bar.
    Cashier Shirley Patton serves coffee to junior international business major Victor Warnsley at Javaccino’s inside the new Wendy’s in Starkville. The new fast-food restaurant is the first of its kind in the world to offer a coffee bar.

Something new is brewing at the newly opened Wendy’s in Starkville. Thursday afternoon, company and community representatives descended upon the popular Starkville fast food restaurant to celebrate the opening of the new building, which includes the first-ever Javaccino’s coffee bar.
    Planners of the new Wendy’s hope the new counter will attract caffeine-craving Mississippi State students by building on the growing market for premium coffee products.
    In addition to items from the regular menu, Wendy’s patrons will be able to order coffee, specialty drinks and pastries either at a second counter inside the restaurant or at the drive-thru. During Thursday’s grand opening, “Wendy” greeted customers who entered the store and treated them to sample cups of coffee, frozen Frosty-ccinos and other treats from the coffee counter.
    Following the ribbon cutting, the guests, which included Starkville mayor Dan Camp, Ward 4 Alderman Richard Corey and members of the Greater Starkville Development Partnership, tasted samples with owners and discussed the new store.
    The new Wendy’s in Starkville is the only one of it’s kind throughout the entire brand of restaurants, said Greg Jones, vice president of operations for Wendelta Inc.
    It is a subsidiary of Carlisle Corporation which owns multiple Wendy’s franchises in Mississippi and other Southern states.
    “We are unique,” Jones said. “We had the support of Wendy’s International to go with Mr. Carlisle’s vision of a coffee shop in our Starkville store.”
    Kevin Coll, marketing communication coordinator for Carlisle Corp., said officials chose the Highway 12 location because of the distinction the Starkville Wendy’s holds as one of the highest-volume selling Wendy’s locations in the Southern region combined with the store’s proximity to MSU students.
    “[Mississippi State] was the main deciding factor, besides the amount [of sales] we had gotten from our previous store [in Starkville],” Coll said. “The abundance of college students gave us the opportunity for the Javaccino’s coffee bar.”
    Chairman and Founder of the Carlisle Corp. Gene Carlisle said his company, which owns 90 Wendy’s locations in Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and North Carolina, has seen a change in what customers want from restaurants.
    The Javaccino’s brand will capitalize on the growing market for premium beverages.
    “There’s been a shift in consumer behavior, where people are going to a store to buy beverages,” Carlisle said. “The first company to really take advantage of that shift was Starbucks, and we hope to build on that same trend.”
    Carlisle said he wants Javaccino’s to become an afternoon snack and beverage option, as well as a place for people from the Starkville and MSU communities to spend time.
    “We wanted to build the first Javaccino’s in a collegiate atmosphere and create a place where people like students, professors or alumni could come to drink and eat and feel comfortable,” Carlisle said.
    In addition to the coffee bar, the Wendy’s new interior includes four flat-screen televisions, free wireless Internet access and flowers on the tables.
    Adding specialty coffee to the Wendy’s menu and redesigned store may attract more young adults, Jones said.
    “[Attracting that age group] is a growing trend for the entire industry,” he said. “The 18-to-34 age range is a very important market and coffee appeals to them.”
    Javaccino’s sits comfortably and sports the sparse counter style familiar to coffee consumers, which Jones said was designed with the help of the coffee supplier.
    Behind the Javaccino’s counter are three eye-catching 42-inch vertical flat screen televisions, which display the menu as well as pictures of different foods offered at the bar.
    In addition to the inclusion of the coffee bar inside, the new building allows an opportunity to redesign the interior of the store, said Don Nichols, director of real estate and development for Carlisle Corp.
    “The restaurant, with its [new] dining room scheme, was built to meet the needs of today’s consumers.”
    Jones said in addition to the new interior design, the Starkville Wendy’s is larger in order to accommodate Javaccino’s.
    The dining room seats 110 customers, whereas a regular Wendy’s seats 89.
    Customers can choose between cappuccinos, lattes, plain coffee or from a variety of pastries and desserts all available at the coffee bar.
    Jones said the Frosty-ccino a mixture of Wendy’s frozen frosty mixed with coffee flavoring and chocolate or caramel, is the most popular Javaccino’s menu item, but the cakes and treats are also popular.
    Student reactions are overall positive, as more discover and try the new coffee bar.
    Freshman accounting major Lauren Tipton said she enjoyed the appearance of the new Wendy’s compared to the old restaurant.
    “It gives it a fresh look and a welcoming atmosphere,” she said.