Lauren Rogers Museum art on display at MSU gallery

The MSU Department of Art is featuring works on display from the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art. The exhibit features 32 works on paper by 29 artists from the 20th century.
    The pieces are shown in the McComas Hall art gallery located on the building’s basement level.
    “We are very fortunate to have a wonderfully collaborative relationship with the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art from which we borrowed these works,” said Bill Andrews, gallery director for the department of art. Andrews, Benjamin Harvey, professor of Art History, and Jill Chancey, curator for the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art, selected the exhibit.
    A gallery talk will be hosted by Jill Chancey Oct. 25 at 5 p.m. in the gallery.
    Andrews said Chancey will talk about the artists and their works from the featured collection.
    The exhibit opened on Sept. 27, with an opening reception which gave patrons an opportunity to discuss the exhibit and its pieces.
    “Our opening receptions typically showcase the exhibit to a crowd of 200 to 300 people, sometimes more. The receptions are great opportunities to see the work and talk to other people about the exhibit, but of course it’s good to go back and have another look,” Andrews said.
    The Lauren Rogers Museum of Art is located in Laurel.
    The museum opened in 1923 and offers museum galleries, a museum library and a museum shop.
    “They have wonderful collections of European art, American art, English Georgian silver, Japanese Woodblock Prints and an incredible collection of Native American baskets,” Andrews said. The museum sponsors exhibitions of regional and national interest, according to its Web site, www.lrma.org.
    “The people that have talked to me most about [the exhibit] were simply thrilled to have such notable names exhibiting in our gallery. It’s a great opportunity for our students who study works by these very artists in class, and finally get the chance to see an example of their work,” Andrews said.
    Sophomore graphic design major Kim Ladner said that she has been to some of the art exhibits while at MSU.
    “I enjoy them all. They are really fantastic,” Ladner said.
    Ladner attended the exhibit with a friend. She said that sometimes the pieces are inspirational for her own work.
    “Others are just nice to enjoy. There were two that I liked in particular, one of those being ‘The Reddest Red,'” Ladner said.
    The exhibit is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. It is open and free to the public.
    “I hope visitors find the time to get by and see the exhibit before it’s down. We have a very aggressive exhibition schedule so things don’t stay up as long as they would in a museum elsewhere, but this is good,” Andrews said. “It means we have to make way for the Bachelor of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition which is the last show of the fall semester.”
    The Bachelor of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition will be held Nov. 5 through Nov. 30. The opening reception for the show will be Nov. 8 at 5:30 p.m.