Preseason SEC West predictions mostly ring true

Joey Harvey is a junior majoring in communication. He can be contacted at [email protected].All right, SEC football fanatics, this year I’m going to do something that most sports analysts and psychic-posers don’t normally do.
    Right here, before your very eyes, I’m going to refer back to my SEC West predictions published on Aug. 24.
    I’m going to take those predictions and line them up with how things actually worked out.
    1. I said: Mississippi; Result: Louisiana State
    A few weeks into the season, people were all on the purple-and-gold bandwagon.
    There were even people who said LSU could beat the Cleveland Browns, because well, then, the Browns were terrible.
    My, how time changes things. Sure, LSU won the West, but because they were handed two losses, and I still ranked them at two. I’m giving myself credit for that one.
    2. I said: Louisiana State; Result: Auburn
    Hey, give me the benefit of the doubt here.
    I got the mascot right. The Tigers ended up finishing second.
    Oh wait, Auburn has two mascots, don’t they? That’s right, I remember now.
    What kind of sports team (or institution, for that matter) represents itself with two mascots?
    What does a war eagle have anything to do with a tiger? Pick one, red-heads: are you going to be a bird or a cat?
    I win again, due to a mascot conundrum.
    3. I said: Auburn; Result: Arkansas
    I blame the system of football scoring for this one, because it’s clear that points on the scoreboard should not be the lone factor in determining a winner.
    In Mississippi State’s game against the Razorbacks, we held possible Heisman-winner Darren McFadden to less than 100 yards rushing and allowed him to score only one touchdown.
    Sure, he passed for one and caught one, but he didn’t do his job as a running back.
    We should have gotten credit for the win, and therefore Arkansas should not be here. I win again.
    4. I said: Mississippi State; Result: Mississippi State
    Well look-a-here, I nailed one right on the head. The most important one, too.
    As it turns out, saying, “We should have a pretty good season,” didn’t make liars out of us this time.
    All my gratitude is due to Anthony Johnson and Derek Pegues for the two biggest plays in the history of NCAA football. Of course, I win this one.
    5. I said: Arkansas; Result: Alabama
    Five. The number of points MSU defeated Alabama by this season.
    Five. The number of losses MSU has, as compared to Alabama’s six.
    Five. The number of consecutive losses Alabama will eventually have to close out the season, as soon as it loses its bowl game. Too many fives floating around here for me not to consider this a win as well.
    And plus, because I’m enrolled at MSU, I am legally bound to consider anything against Alabama a win.
    6. I said: Miami Dolphins; Result: Mississippi
    Honestly, when I predicted the Dolphins to finish sixth in the West, I didn’t really mean that they were going to be so bad this season that they deserve to be on the collegiate level of football.
    But as Miami sits now at 0-11 on the season, having been outscored by 94 points, I will now take full credit for this pick as well. I win again.
    7. I said: Alabama; Result: Ed Orgeron
    Coach O, I mean, O, due to the fact he is no longer a coach, will be haunted by a swarm of fourth-and-ones in his nightmares through the bowl season.
    His recent unemployment lands him in last place in the SEC West Division.
    Orgeron and the Crimson Tide share a good bit of embarrassment this season, so I’ll consider this last one a win as well.
    As you can see, I have finished with a perfect record through a crazy season of SEC football once again.
    See you at the bowl game!