The man behind the tickets

Parking services officer Kerry Hunt writes more than parking tickets for Mississippi State University.”I write letters to the editor to certain newspapers: The Clarion-Ledger, Meridian Star, Starkville Daily [News] and The Reflector,” Hunt said.
    Writing letters is his way of expressing his opinions. Several of his letters have been printed in The Clarion-Ledger, and some have been published on the Web site for the Meridian Star.
    But the letters aren’t the only way Hunt expresses himself.
    “When I get the chance, I like to go online and participate on forums,” he said.
    Hunt discusses the “whole range of politics” with other people online. Before he forms an argument on a particular issue, he researches the idea from all sides. Although Hunt doesn’t agree with any ideology 100 percent, he has found himself on the libertarian side of some issues.
    “My philosophy – when you’re looking to solve a problem – is you need to look at the role of the government and possibly eliminate it,” he said.
    Hunt admits that many of his ideas wouldn’t be popular. For instance, he believes most people overestimate the constitutional power of America’s highest court.
    “I think it’s a misconception that the Supreme Court has the last word on controversial issues,” Hunt said.
    Hunt would also like to see a third party take some power away from Democrats and Republicans.
    “A third party would encourage more debate – maybe filter out some of the partisanship,” he said.
    Glen Young, an instructor in the department of kinesiology, remembers having interesting discussions with Hunt about politics.
    “He’s pretty knowledgeable about politics,” Young said. “He had a desire to be a politician.”
    Young added that Hunt would become “very excited” when they talked about politics and sports.
    Hunt, who received his bachelor’s degree in physical education at MSU, used to go to many sporting events on campus. He especially liked being part of the crowd-running onto the field after a big win.
    “I got a piece of the goalpost from the 1999 Egg Bowl,” Hunt said.
    Now Hunt works during the football and basketball games. He’s been working for MSU since October 2000, and the job was the first one he landed. A typical day of work is simple. “We come in and go to our assigned areas,” he said.
    Sometimes Hunt must deal with upset people who don’t believe they should’ve received tickets. He doesn’t consider it a major obstacle during the day.
    “I ignore it. I know they’re going to get upset,” Hunt said. “If they get too bad, I’ll report it to the boss.”
    Not even weather conditions worry Hunt on the job. “Heat doesn’t bother me,” he said.
    It takes a lot to get under Hunt’s easygoing skin. Senior parking services officer Raleigh Richter said Hunt’s agreeable nature makes him a good worker.
    “He generally has a smile on his face,” Richter said. “I’ve never heard him have a harsh word toward anyone. He’s a big ole teddy bear.”
    One incident probably favored Hunt’s gentle disposition. He was with a partner near Garner Hall when a male student parked in a lot reserved for staff. The student got out of his car to appeal a ticket. While the student dealt with his problem, Hunt walked over to the student’s parked car.
    “I wrote him another ticket,” Hunt said. “He came out before I finished my lot. He was cussing. His mistake was that he was in earshot of assistant dean of students Thomas Bourgeois.”
    Hunt said he will be staying with MSU for the foreseeable future. That means students, faculty and staff might receive tickets written by him.
    Of course, newspaper readers and online forum visitors will probably continue to read his tailored views about politics.
    “If libertarians would stop talking about drug legalization, they might get somewhere,” he said.