Voting compromises freedom

Why do we vote? What is it about this democratically encouraged action that makes us feel so warm and fuzzy? I think it has something to do with our deep American reliance on representation. In politics representation is the belief that one man can embody the maddeningly varied beliefs of millions of people. The futility of this superstition is easily demonstrated.
    Suppose we needed to elect an official to represent Mississippi State’s views on ice cream. He might pass a law to remove sprinkles from all ice cream cones or maybe outlaw muscadine ripple flavoring because of its deviance from the natural wholesome goodness of vanilla and its corruption of our impressionable youth. Of course, there would be an uproar.
    “I like muscadine ripple … it’s good!” This might be the battle cry of the resistance ringing clearly across campus. Isn’t it obvious that since everyone has a different view on what makes a good cone, the only solution is compromise? But no one wants to compromise on his or her favorite dessert. I personally would fight to the death for the right to eat Neapolitan in the face of an oppressive vanilla regime.
    You can’t compromise in a free nation. A representative democracy contradicts its own ideals of free will. You can’t simultaneously be free but also conform to everyone else’s decision. The idea that democracy protects freedom is like claiming fire protects you by burning you.
    But one might argue it’s not about freedom. It’s about necessity. Being a part of the whole/group/country requires group decisions, and the only fair way to do this is to vote.
    My only objection to that argument is that if being a part of the whole means surrendering every essential freedom, the whole has no value.
    Maybe if the structure of our government weren’t so centered around electing kings who strip the citizens of power, we wouldn’t have this problem. If the people had the power, there would be no need to vote on issues or to find someone to represent you. You would represent you. In the words of Edward Abbey, “Grown men do not need leaders.”
    So, I don’t think every American’s patriotic duty this election is to vote. Your patriotic duty is to make sure you have a voice.