Five Marches to remember

March Madness is in full swing, and while the actual games are nine days away, I wanted to give my top five favorite “Shining Moments” of the NCAA tournament.
    5. Arizona vs. Illinois, 2005
    The Fighting Illini held the nation’s best record (36-1) and were the No. 1 overall seed in the tournament. Led by the guard-trio of Deron Williams, Dee Brown and Luther Head, Illinois found itself down 15 points 75-60, with only four minutes left in the game. The largest deficit Illinois had faced all year was a measly 9 points.
    The Wildcats of Arizona, led by Channing Frye, thought they could put the game on cruise control down the stretch and coast their way into the Final Four. However, over the last four minutes, the Illini went on a 20-5 run, and Williams hit a 3-pointer with seconds left to send the game to overtime. In the overtime, the Illini built a 90-84 lead, but the Wildcats were able to cut the deficit to one. Hassan Adams’ last-second 3 wasn’t close, and Illinois advanced to the Final Four.
    4. Kansas vs. Syracuse, 2003
    Jim Boeheim of Syracuse and Roy Williams of Kansas squared off in the championship game, both looking for their first national title as head coaches.
    Boeheim was coaching a young freshman team, led by Carmelo Anthony and Gerry McNamara, while Williams had the senior leadership of Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collison. The Orange pull ed away late in the second half to a 76-64 lead, but after untimely missed free throws, the Jayhawks were able to make a late charge.
    The score was 81-78 with 15 seconds left in the game; Hakim Warrick stepped to the free throw with a chance to clinch the title. Warrick, however, missed both shots, giving Kansas a chance to send the game to overtime. Hinrich got the rebound, pushed the ball up the court and passed to an open Michael Lee in the left corner for 3. But as the ball left Lee’s hands, Warrick jumped into view and blocked the shot. Game over.
    3. Ole Miss vs. Valparaiso, 1998
    To any long-time State fan, that’s all that has to be said. The play was called “Pacer.” With only two seconds left on the clock, and the Rebels holding a 69-67 lead, Valpo needed a miracle. Jamie Sykes chunked the ball the length of the floor to Bill Jenkins, who found a cutting Bryce Drew for a buzzer-beating 3 to send the Rebels home. How sweet.
    2. Kentucky vs. Duke, 1992
    The Blue Devils had just won the national title the year before but had to go through a resurgent Wildcat squad to reach the Final Four. The second half saw the Wildcats erase a 12-point deficit to tie the Blue Devils 93-93. During the last 35.3 seconds of overtime, the ball changed possessions five times, each resulting in a lead change. The Blue Devils were down 103-102 with 2.1 seconds left. Kentucky head coach Rick Pitino decides not to defend the inbounds pass, and Duke forward Grant Hill threw an 80-foot strike to Christian Laettner who catches, turns and shoots. Game over.
    Duke wins 104-103. This is arguably the greatest basketball game ever played.
    1. North Carolina vs. Michigan, 1993
    Michigan’s “Fab Five” were hoping to put the finishing touches on its second attempt to win the national title. With their baggy shorts, bald heads and bold attitudes, they had the title in their hands, but they blinked.
    The Wolverines were down 72-67 with a minute to play, but they scored a basket, forced a quick turnover and scored again to move within 72-71 with 35 seconds left.
    After a UNC foul shot, Chris Webber snagged the rebound and raced down the court, where he then called a timeout. The only problem was that his team had no more timeouts, resulting in a technical foul. The Tar Heels secured Dean Smith’s second national title with a 77-71 victory.
    The game and Webber’s play went down as one of the most boneheaded plays of all time.