Take it Easley

Bulldogs veteran catcher Edward Easley knows that he has a tall order in leading his team from behind the plate, but it is a challenge he gladly accepts. Easley currently leads the team with a .427 batting average, 27 runs batted in and seven home runs heading into a Super Bulldog Weekend matchup with Kentucky.
    “Bringing the crowd to support the baseball team is a focus of the weekend,” Easley said. “It’s going to be an exciting time to play baseball, and we’re looking forward to having such a great crowd.”
    Easley was named SEC Player of the Week following the Dawgs’ series win over Florida, an honor he holds largely due to the high level of competition in the Southeastern Conference.
    But while he finds it exciting to win such awards, his main focus is leading his team to more wins and a strong postseason showing.
    “It was very exciting and a great honor, especially as I look around the SEC at the great players I play with and against,” Easley said. “I can’t let it get to me, though, because I still have to go out there and play hard every day.”
    Easley has played many positions throughout his baseball career but feels he has found his calling at the catcher position and hopes to start all games this season behind the plate.
    “It’s not like I’ve been loving catching my whole life,” Easley said. “But now that I’ve come to Mississippi State with the door open at the catcher position, that’s where I feel like I belong.”
    He feels a key to his success is the support his parents have shown him over the years, especially during his college career, he said.
    “My parents haven’t missed a college game yet, home or away,” he said. “They’re outside the locker room when I come out every game, no matter what I did in the game.”
    One of Easley’s favorite things about playing at MSU is Dudy Noble Field, which he said is the best place to play in the SEC.
    “I’ve played at every stadium in the SEC,” he said. “There’s a lot of good places to play, but by far Mississippi State is the best place. I enjoy looking up in the stands every game and seeing them full.”
    Easley has several goals for himself as a player this season, including catching in every game.
    “It’s all about the little things you do,” he said. “You’ve got to eat right, run and especially get in the weight room on your days off. My plan is to catch in every game this season, so I’ve just got to work hard in the weight room and mentally prepare myself.”
    Another goal Easley has for the season is to be a leader on the field behind the plate.
    “I want to do what it takes to be a leader on the field by example and help my team to win,” he said. “I want to be a guy that the younger guys on the team can look up to.”
    Despite losing its first SEC series against South Carolina, Easley said that with the strong team chemistry, he still believes the team has the chance to finish in the top of the SEC this year.
    “A lot of the guys that have been in the locker room for several years are saying that this is the best team we’ve had in a while as far as getting along,” he said. “It’s a mixture of a young and old team, which is good, and we have a lot of fun playing together.