Potter finale will complete great series

It’s pretty much a sure thing that come July 21, the world will cease to spin. The world of children’s fantasy literature, at least, but maybe even the entire physical world as well. If you’re a true fan, you should already know what I’m talking about. July 21 is when the last installment of the Harry Potter series hits bookstores, and you can bet I will be there at midnight to pick up my copy. It’s already on reserve.
    This is truly the end of an era, regardless of how childish some of you undoubtedly find the whole Harry Potter phenomenon. It’s been 10 years since the release of “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” though it hardly seems like I was reading the book in seventh grade. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s grown up with Harry, and now his graduation from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry will mirror mine from Mississippi State.
    If he makes it out alive, that is. I am of the opinion that Harry is going to die in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” that his and You-Know-Who’s deaths will somehow cancel each other out to bring peace to the wizarding world. Gruesome, morbid and even unthinkable, yes, but I wouldn’t put it past J.K. Rowling, who is quite the master of taking her readers by surprise and wrenching their hearts with some plot twist, even if it’s a twist they see coming. For instance, (Spoiler alert!) I pegged Dumbledore’s death in book six all the way from book one, but I didn’t feel it any less when it happened. And she certainly hasn’t hesitated to kill off other well-loved characters.
    But all this is just speculation, of course. What is certain about the book’s release is that on July 21, a staggering 12 million copies will make their way to bookstores, the largest release Scholastic has ever had. I would say make their way to bookshelves, but it’s doubtful even one of those 12 million will make it to the shelves. I envision 12 million children and adults bombarding the stacks of red-hot books and leaving none behind.
    It’s more dangerous than ever to be a straggler when picking up book seven, as the outcome, whatever it may be, will surely be broadcast from every media outlet available as early as July 22. My plan of action is to pick up my book at midnight, lock myself in my room with a truckload of tissues and not come out until the book is over and my crying has ceased, whichever comes first. It worked like a charm for book six.