Lab Rats benefit children’s hospital

Ex-lovers are teaching kids about STDs in Norwegian. This may not seem like an everyday occurrence, but to Lab Rats Comedy, Mississippi State’s improvisational group, it is just another day’s work.The group performs comedy to amuse crowds for the joy of entertaining. This week the Lab Rats have an additional goal; they hope to raise money to donate to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
    The Lab Rats perform three types of comedy: shortform improv, longform improv and sketch. Shortform involves two- to three-minute games that are dictated by a quirk, such as the performers may only speak in questions. Longform is about a 20-minute- to half-hour-long improvised play. Sketch consists of rehearsed shorts that are based on a script.
    But what all goes into the preparation of a show?
    Recently the group added a new position, artistic director. This person is different for every show and is responsible for bringing everything together.
    “You are responsible for the theme, the justification of everything within the theme, casting, scheduling and organizing games within the show,” public relations representative and AD for the most recent show Owen McGuire said. “You have to take what the directors have created and make something bigger out of it.”
    The directors work with the performers through rehearsals.
    “You do actually have to practice it,” shortform director Mark Harris said. “You can’t just get on stage and spit out some comedy. Developing a great scene every time is hard to master. Sitting down and writing something is different from doing it on the spot and being good every time.”
    Harris said the shortform training regime is a gradual development. “I start new performers with basic concepts and little restriction,” he said. “Then I gradually put them in more advanced situations with more limitations.”
    Rehearsals are an ongoing process. Every branch of the group has at least two practices a week, and the week before a show, they generally practice every day.
    “Everyone in the group is very dedicated,” longform director Houston Longino said. “People show up every day to work on something. I’ve talked to other groups, and it seems that we practice more than any other Southeastern troupe, and I think it shows.”
    “It generally only takes about three rehearsals before a sketch product is done,” sketch director Will Cooper said. “Performers cast in sketches this semester have done an outstanding job.”
    This dedication to their craft has earned the Lab Rats a fairly regular crowd.
    “I look forward to every time a new poster goes up,” senior communication major Christine Taylor said. “I really love their shows and wouldn’t miss one for the world.”
    Though most often found in McComas’ lab theater, this Friday and Saturday the Lab Rats will perform at Starkville High School at 7 p.m.
    “I wanted to do a show in the community at SHS or Starkville Community Theatre to be in touch with the non-college part of the town,” managing director Chris Tyer said. “We’ve also tried to reach out by putting on workshops at SHS, the Mississippi Theatre Association Festival and the Southeastern Theatre Conference.”
    This week’s show is seen by the group to be a way to reach out even beyond the community. Tickets are $5 and all of the proceeds taken in will go to St. Jude.
    “I think St. Jude is an excellent charity for our group to donate to,” Tyer said. “When you think of children, you think of joy, of happiness, of laughter. Comedy is a big part of the love and enjoyment of life.”
    “I’m hoping that something that is a big, goofy fun time can be for a good cause,” McGuire said.
    This is not the first time the Lab Rats have put on a charity show. In September 2005 they donated the benefits of a show to the Red Cross to aid Hurricane Katrina victims. They were able to raise $1,250.
    This year they hope to give even more to St. Jude.
    “I’ve called banks, car dealerships and local businesses to see if they will match our ticket sales,” McGuire said. “If they can’t match, I hope they will at least donate some. It is tax deductible, after all. I feel like this show can be a really big deal, not only for now, but for the future.”
    Getting to that future will still take a lot of dedication and hard work by the group. After all, defending the world’s last cucumber from mutant dinosaurs is no easy task.
    “It is a long and perilous journey to becoming a great improviser,” Harris said.