Nichols’ buzzer beater sinks Dawgs’ title hopes

The Big Apple took a bite out of the Mississippi State Bulldogs Tuesday, as they fell 63-62 to the West Virginia Mountaineers in the National Invitational Tournament Semifinals at historic Madison Square Garden.West Virginia (26-9) junior guard Darris Nichols hit the game-winning 3-pointer with two seconds remaining to secure the win for the Mountaineers.
    The Bulldogs (21-14) had led for most of the second half before West Virginia pulled ahead with junior Jamie Smalligan’s two free throws, giving Mississippi State less than a minute of game time to stage a comeback.
    Seconds later, freshman guard Barry Stewart answered back with a jumper to give the Bulldogs the lead.
    The Mountaineers had three opportunities on the other end to make shots but missed each time.
    Sophomore Jamont Gordon – who had 11 points in the game – finally grabbed the defensive rebound for the Bulldogs but was fouled and made one free throw.
    With 16 seconds left in the game, Nichols missed a 3-point attempt. But West Virginia pulled down a crucial offensive board, and their coach quickly called a timeout.
    Then, with 2.1 seconds to go, Nichols set his sights on Gordon, faking him out with what looked like a double screen.
    “I got screened a little bit, and he knocked down the shot,” Gordon said. “It was a great play.”
    Nichols quickly faded back and shot the game-winning three.
    “They made a huge shot,” Stansbury said. “I told our team, that’s just one play … a play that changed the score at the end of the basketball game. I know [the team] hurts now and hurts for our two seniors, particularly Dietric [Slater].”
    Slater racked up 18 points in 37 minutes. Hours later, his eyes watered with emotion.
    “The last few seconds were kind of slow motion a little bit. I wasn’t ready to get off the court,” Slater said. “I just don’t want to leave the team right now.”
    At the game’s start, the Dawgs nipped at West Virginia’s heels for nearly 18 minutes, when, without warning, freshman Barry Stewart’s 3-point jumper turned the tide for Mississippi State.
    At halftime, the Dawgs had established a four-point lead, 32-28. Once the second half began, Gordon plastered five more points on the board, then a layup.
    Within two minutes, the Bulldogs were up 11 points and a win seemed likely.
    West Virginia lingered, though, scoring 16 points off Bulldog turnovers.
    The 21-14 Mississippi State Bulldogs were bitterly disappointed with the game and season’s abrupt outcome, but a raspy Stansbury said after the game that he was ready to tackle it again next year.
    “Our expectations are the same every year: to compete for championships,” he said. “We found a way this year to win a championship in the [SEC] West, and our goal will be the same next year: Win a championship in the Southeastern Conference.