Letters to the Editor: ‘New Day’ reaches new low

Corey Bishop has a twisted mind. I pick up every edition of The Reflector and flip through the articles until I get to my favorite section: the crossword puzzle. This also happens to be the same page that features the comic strips, so I read them as well. Different people submit them from time to time, so I realize some comics will be better than others. However, Bishop’s “New Day,” which has been featured for the last four or so issues, really needs to be pulled. For the past few issues, I was bored with his comic because there was actually some meaning behind it. Agreed, college students do not always pay enough attention to their grandparents. It’s sad, but a lot of times we can’t help it. I believe Bishop’s intention is to guilt people into visiting their grandparents, but the strip for the March 6 issue is ridiculous. The grandmother figure is seen in the first frame covered in ants. In the second frame, there is a close-up of one of the ants biting her. The third frame features Bishop’s trademark of the grandmother crying.
    To me, this throws out all notions that Bishop’s comic is trying to promote healthy relationships with grandparents. Instead, it makes me think that Bishop is either a sadistic fellow who enjoys inflicting imaginary pain on an imaginary woman, or he has some unresolved issues with his own grandmother.
    Adam Collins
    Freshman
    Undeclared
    Nothing entertains me more in between classes than a Sudoku puzzle or getting a chuckle or two from one of the cartoons presented in the Entertainment section.
    However, what I cannot stand are those “New Day” cartoons. I like to laugh; what I don’t like is to feel depressed by seeing an elderly woman neglected by her family. What is the point of this cartoon? It’s called the “Entertainment” section, not the “Depression” section.
    I know its just a cartoon, but every time I see that old woman looking so sad at the end, I just want to kick the person who drew it or put it in the paper in the first place.
    Brian Sessums
    Senior
    General Business