UPN, WB networks plan merger

Scan the DVD collection lining the shelves of the average freshman girl at Mississippi State University and chances are you’ll find at least one season of The WB’s hit show “Gilmore Girls.” Ask that same girl what she wants to be when she grows up and she might reply, “America’s Next Top Model,” in mock reference to one of UPN’s top-rated shows.
    With the recent announcement that both channels are being pulled from the air, the question at hand is where the two stations’ core audiences of women between the ages of 12 and 43 will be able to view these shows.
    The answer will arrive in the form of a new station christened by the two recently-merged companies as The CW. Long-time rivals, The WB and UPN have often shared a similar line-up of shows, as well as their target audience since their initial network arrivals in 1995.
    While both stations have had success, it has been mediocre when compared to bigger broadcasting rivals. It is the goal of Warner Brothers (The WB) and CBS (UPN) to form together a stronger network complete with the popular programs from each of the channels.
    The new line-up will include The WB’s shows such as “Smallville,” “One Tree Hill” and “Gilmore Girls.”
    The UPN will be bringing “Veronica Mars” and Tyra Banks in the form of “America’s Next Top Model” to the programming block.
    Both stations will cease single operations in September. Fans will then finally find their favorite shows housed under the single roof of The CW.
    “Hopeful” is the choice word to describe the shocked network affiliates at WCBI in Columbus, who run the UPN station for Mississippi. If not chosen to pick up The WC, the company is faced with the possibility of becoming an independent network, and 90,000 households in North Mississippi are faced with the idea of life without certain favorite shows.
    According to marketing specialist for UPN-MS Derek Rogers, they are feeling “cautiously optimistic” that this change will be for the best.
    The feeling is shared by freshman psychology major Leigh Anne Jett, a regular viewer of shows such as “Gilmore Girls” and “America’s Next Top Model.”
    “I hope the new network will be successful, otherwise it wouldn’t be fair to faithful viewers like me,” Jett said.
    The channel will begin its launch in an estimated 95 percent of the country. Until then, everyone will be playing the waiting game in anticipation of its arrival. For the students at Mississippi State who can’t seem to find their “Top Model” fix or simply know what they want to be when they grow up, Rogers said they are planning an “America’s Next Top Model” casting call at The Union sometime this upcoming semester. That way, if you can’t watch the show at least you might have the opportunity to be on it. As for “Gilmore Girls,” well it shouldn’t be too long until the next season makes it to DVD.