Student seeks Columbus mayoral office

John Maxcy is a 25-year-old Mississippi State student.
    He lives in Columbus, majors in public relations and enjoys playing tennis. However, the one thing that sets Maxcy apart from his peers is his passion——– – a passion that has led him to become a mayoral candidate for the city of Columbus.
    While at Mississippi State, Maxcy has been involved in the Student Broadcast Association and Rick’s Rowdies. As for not being politically active on campus, he contributes his lack of involvement to being a commuter and living in Columbus. He interns in the public relations department of the Columbus-Lowndes Humane Society.
    “John has always been a very ambitious and passionate guy and has always been one to do things out of the norm,” said Callie Turner, a photography major at Mississippi University for Women in Columbus.
    Turner said accepting the office of mayor would not affect Maxcy’s dedication as a student Maxcy is clear in what he wants to accomplish as mayor of Columbus.
    One thing is the incorporation of a free wireless broadband Internet signal for all Columbus residents. He plans to incorporate funding for the wireless system, $5,000 of which he will donate.
    He also wants Columbus to follow in the footsteps of Starkville and adopt a no-smoking ordinance in all restaurants and public buildings.
    Columbus’ current mayor Jeffrey Rupp, who is leaving his office to become the director of community and government relations at Mississippi State, was the city’s youngest mayor. He was 40 when he entered office.
    “As mayor, you’re in charge of approximately $18 million and 275 employees,” Rupp said. “If John was elected it would be an eye-opening experience both for him and the city of Columbus.”
    Maxcy said he plans to continue with his original plan of opening a Christian rock radio station. His strong Christian stance is reflected in his politically conservative views.
    “I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican; I am a candidate who will vote with my conscience,” Maxcy said.
    Despite his age, Maxcy said he has what it takes to become mayor of Columbus. He is persistent in telling people of his great vision of growth for Columbus.
    “I would love to see this city keep its historic charm while invoking a sense of 21st century technology,” Maxcy said.