Centers offer academic boost

Fall semester is already here and many students are investing in books, laptops and other things that will help them succeed in college. Yet they may not realize that there are other valuable assets available to them. The Writing and Learning Centers are great assets to help students succeed in college.
    The Writing and Learning Centers each serve different purposes, but both aim to help students get the most out of their education.
    According to the Writing Center’s Web site, “The Writing Center dedicates itself to helping all MSU students develop as writers.”
    The Writing Center was created by English department head Rich Raymond in 2005. Previously there was one graduate student and older computers to help students. The center now boasts 12 tutors, new computers and software and print resources all aimed at assisting students during the writing process.
    Raymond said the center is not just for English students but every student who wants assistance in his or her writing endeavors. Raymond added that the center can help with any project at any stage.
    The Writing Center is headed by Tennyson O’Donnell. Students can drop in from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday without an appointment.
    According to its Web site, The Learning Center offers students many services including tutoring in a variety of subjects, access to computer labs, accredited classes and the Learning Skills Support Program.
    Tutoring is free to students and is offered in many subjects. Students should come to the second floor of Allen Hall from 2-7 p.m. Monday through Thursday for help.
    Learning Center graduate assistant Camp Murphy said the center has three computer labs including two open labs that students are encouraged to use without an appointment.
    The Learning Skills Support Program lends help to academic probation students that wish to continue enrollment in the university. The program is aimed at improving academic performance and is headed by Amy Bass.
    Accredited classes such as the freshman seminar are offered in the fall and spring for freshman students. Other services provided include copying, laminating and printing.