Company establishes MSU hub

ClearOrbit, a Texas-based company specializing in software solutions, is utilizing computer science and engineering graduates from Mississippi State.
    Several recent graduates are employed in the company’s Starkville center, located in the Thad Cochran Research, Technology and Economic Development Park and is an enhancement to the company’s headquarters in Austin, Texas.
    “The new employees of the Mississippi Development Center will work jointly with the team in Austin, some with full-time positions and some with part-time positions,” said Jerry Folsom, vice president of project management for ClearOrbit.
    “So far, I like working with ClearOrbit,” MSU graduate Nate Scretching said. “I can develop as a software engineer and also continue to grow and make progress, as well as have the opportunity to stay in Starkville.”
    “The skills that I am learning in ClearOrbit are very valuable and can be translated to many other companies that I might come into contact with,” graduate Amit Bugde said.
    There are also part-time jobs available for students interested in getting a head start in working with software engineering.
    “I’m learning a lot that I know I will use in the future in my career,” said Jennifer Robbins, a part-time quality assurance analyst for ClearOrbit and a senior software engineering major. “They’re very flexible, they work around my schedule, but I still have deadlines, and I know this is a great experience to have before graduating.”
    Colin Scanes, vice president for research and economic development at MSU, anticipates a positive impact on Starkville by ClearOrbit and other companies as they move into the area.
    “One of our goals at the research park is to see more opportunities for young Mississippians to stay in Mississippi in high-tech and high-salary jobs. As more people stay in the community, that in turn creates more jobs because people who stay in the community need to live somewhere, they need to buy groceries, have their cars repaired, and all those things would add jobs to the community.” Scanes also views companies, such as ClearOrbit, as “a major part of the future of Starkville economy.”
    Julia Hodges, the head of the computer science and engineering department, says that another positive impact of ClearOrbit’s arrival is on the students. “I think we have a number of students who would like to have the option of staying in the state.”
    According to the company’s Web site was established as BPA Systems in 1994 and in 2000 became ClearOrbit. Some of its customers include companies such as Texas Instruments, Canon, Xerox, Panasonic, General Electric and Cisco Systems. “Over half of our customers have revenue greater than $1 billion,” said Folsom. “Our mission is to improve the speed, visibility, and control of manufacturing and distribution supply chains of our clients.” Folsom added that ClearOrbit’s key industries were high-technology products, pharmaceutical products, industrial products and consumer products.
    ClearOrbit is not the only company to have an interest in the Mississippi Development Center, said Scanes. “Our goal is the creation of atleast 500 high-tech and high-salary jobs, a focus of which would be in the research park, by the year 2010.” Scanes added. He also added that the research park’s main problem at the moment is lack of space. “We’re very fortunate to have support from the federal government and we’re definitely looking forward to an expansion in the future.” As for future plans for the Mississippi Development Center, Scanes said, “ClearOrbit is more than just a start. We’ve got a number of companies coming in and I think we’re going to see a lot more.”