MSU squads earn sweep at Sewanee

MSU men’s and women’s cross country teams completed the sweep this weekend at the Sewanee Invitational at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tenn.
    Both teams took home the first place team titles, with the men’s team scoring 24 points, and the women’s scoring 28 points.
    This is the second straight season that the cross country teams have swept the titles at their first meet.
    MSU also took home the first place titles for individuals.
    Senior Travis McKay won the 8K race with a time of 26:04.30 to take home his second first-place title.
    Sophomore runner Michelle Corrigan took home her individual title in the 5K race with a time of 18:28.06.
    The women’s cross country team finished the meet with six of the top 20 finishers in the 5K run.
    Senior Jennifer McPherson finished behind Michelle Corrigan in second with a time of 18:29.34.
    Senior Mina Thorstenson rounded out the top five with a time of 18:38.89.
    Junior Lizzie Grube placed sixth with a time of 18:54.85.
    Sophomore Nicole Rosetti and freshman Andrea Wahlin finished 14th and 18th respectively, with times of 19:47.87 and 20:14.69.
    The men’s team also finished with six of the top 20 finishers in their 8K race.
    Junior Ashenafi Arega, a new transfer this year, finished second with a time of 26:04.81.
    Junior Pad Judd completed the top five with a time of 26:18.85.
    Seniors Wade Martin and Phillip Moore finished eighth and ninth with times of 26:34.82 and 26:46.13.
    Senior Ryan Irwin placed 12th with a time of 27:00.52., while freshman Daniel Simpkins placed 13th in his first meet with the Bulldogs with a time of 27:08.59.
    Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams will compete next at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Ala., for the Crimson Classic.
    “This meet is really important,” mrn’d coach Steve Dudley said. “We will face a lot of the teams we will be competing against in the SEC. This meet will show where we really stack up against them.”
    The Crimson Classic will take place on Friday, Sept. 15.