Soccer still with no October wins

Unlucky is a term that perfectly describes the Mississippi State soccer team in this past weekend’s matches against Kentucky and Vanderbilt, as the ball seemed to roll everywhere but in the net.
    Friday
    The Mississippi State soccer team (2-15-0, 1-9-0) lost a 3-0 decision in Lexington, Ky., after giving up three first half goals to Kentucky.
    The Wildcats (10-3-5, 6-2-2) took the lead on a goal by Tara Herold, her first goal of the season.
    The two squads battled back and forth through most of the first half, but in the 29th minute Kentucky’s Giuleana Lopez scored her ninth goal of the season on an assist by Caitlin Coughlin.
    Kentucky struck again in the 37th minute on a header goal by Kristen Kover.
    In the second half,the Wildcats turned up the heat.
    UK fired two corner shots, but both were blocked by Bulldog defenders.
    After a Kentucky foul, a free kick from Katie Lynn Harden was blocked and deflected to Bethany Frazier.
    Frazier’s shot from 25 yards out was snatched away by UK goalkeeper Anne Ogundele.
    Kentucky out shot the Bulldogs 21-6.
    Sunday
    Despite the cold chill in the air, the Mississippi State soccer team fought hard, but lost a 4-0 decision at home against Vanderbilt.
    In the 34th minute, Vanderbilt broke open the game on a goal by Amy Bauman, giving the Commodores a 1-0 lead.
    Six minutes later, UV struck again on a goal by Nicole Lukens from 15 yards out.
    Vanderbilt led 2-0 at the half.
    In the second half, Jessica Davis’ 30-yard shot sailed over the net.
    Vanderbilt added another goal in the 67th minute by Katie Schultz to make it a 3-0 game.
    Vanderbilt closed out the scoring in the 74th minute on a goal by Sarah Dennis.
    “We’re playing good soccer out of the gate,” said MSU head coach Neil MacDonald. “However, when we lose a goal, our heads go down. A part of it is being young, and a part of it is that it’s a theme.
    “It’s difficult for [the players] to keep it together.”