Relax during midterm

Midterm is a miserable time; I think we all agree. Between classes and extracurriculars I have felt more than overwhelmed-which shouldn’t even be possible-and more than a little stressed over the past couple of weeks.
    As a college student it’s easy to let pressure get the better of us (at least, I hope that’s not only my problem). When days are divided between going to class, going to work or meetings and studying and writing papers, the only time left goes to the necessity of sleep-sweet, coveted sleep that never seems to be enough.
    This doesn’t cut it, though, unless you’re some sort of robot or android, in which case you don’t need the sleep and probably have no trouble cranking out 10-page papers.
    But for us normal humans, or maybe just us humans, we can’t stay sane living and breathing school and work. And yet we try. Or are forced to sometimes, like around midterm.
    Although I know the whole “take a few minutes for yourself” thing is clich‹¨ and perhaps even unlikely and idealistic to the serious workhorse, it’s essential to remaining physically and mentally healthy. I’m not stressing tips like getting enough sleep, because if your schedule is anything like mine, eight hours is totally impractical.
    But there are things you can change about your day to make it go more smoothly, or at least make you feel like you’ve had time to breathe, even if you haven’t. Here are some things I do to force myself to enjoy my day a little more. Yes, forced enjoyment is still enjoyment.
    I wake up at 7 a.m. and turn on either “The Daily Show” or cartoons while I’m getting ready. It’s much easier to drag myself out of bed if I’m listening to the sweet voice of one of my favorite guys, Jon Stewart or Spongebob Squarepants. I use my drive to class to listen to some calm music and appreciate how beautiful the morning is, trying my hardest to concentrate more on the roadside fields with horses frolicking in the morning mist than the traffic I’m stuck in and the fact that every car in front of me will get a better parking place.
    During the day I motivate myself by keeping a to-do list. I’m not recommending this method to everyone, but for the seriously organized and obsessive-compulsive, it provides a wonderful incentive for doing even the most mundane daily tasks. What incentive is that, you ask? Why, the ability to cross the mundane task off the list!
    The key is to write on the list not only real obligations like “write article” or “study for exam,” but also the non-obligations you have, like “eat a pint of ice cream” or “take a nap.” It’s a great feeling, crossing things off the list. You’ll end your day feeling accomplished and satisfied. As I said, though, the to-do list is only for the most organized.
    Maybe your daily release is taking 30 minutes to go for a run, watch TV, do yoga or read a few pages of a book you actually want to read.
    When there’s actually no time, not even 30 minutes, to take for yourself, turn the necessary tasks of the day into enjoyable events. For me, this is making dinner. In the time you spend driving somewhere and choosing the easier option of picking up fast food, you could’ve cooked a quick and healthy meal. Yes, those are not mutually exclusive terms.
    It’s a terrible paradox-the most stressed of times are the times you most crave food that’s terrible for you, but those are also the times you most need nutritious food. It seems easy to pick up a burger and fries in the middle of studying for a big exam, but you’ll have more energy and be more alert if you take a few minutes to prepare a healthy, well-balanced meal. Plus, you’ll finish it without those guilty feelings that always come with indulgence.
    It’s tough balancing this college life, when every minute of every day is scheduled for one thing or another. The best we can do is hope to make it out alive, having had some fun and hopefully having retained a bit of sanity.