Journalists goof on Foley fiasco

The actions of former House Rep. Mark Foley (R-Florida) have not only gotten the Republicans in quite a political jam, but it has shown that journalists need to try harder to avoid irresponsible and stupid mistakes.
    Foley was exposed last week for his inappropriate sexual instant messages and e-mails to underage pages. The media has been scrambling to cover the story, revealing Foley’s coincidental confession of being molested as a child and a possible cover-up of his inappropriate behavior by the House.
    But during all this coverage, a few journalistic mistakes have also been revealed. For instance, the St. Petersburg Times, Miami Herald and Fox News all knew about Foley’s behavior more than a year ago but decided not to release the information. The irresponsible journalism doesn’t stop there. Fox News and The Associated Press have both incorrectly referred to Foley as a Democrat.
    Now, perhaps the misattribution of Foley’s political party by both organizations is an honest mistake. However, this story is causing big waves because of the upcoming elections. Many people fear this may deal quite a blow to the Republicans’ chances in November.
    Therefore, although journalists are human, they should work harder during such a sensitive time and get Foley’s party correct-especially Fox News, because its broadcast of the mistake was prerecorded for the air. There’s no reason why it couldn’t have been corrected.
    The Republicans need to have more moral people within their party. But the media, as the informants of our society, should get the facts straight and release information when they receive it. On both counts, our society suffers.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Jed Pressgrove, news editor C.J. LeMaster, assistant news editor Keeley Tatum, entertainment editor Aaron Burdette, sports editor R.J. Morgan, online editor Sara McAdory, managing editor Ross Dellenger and editor in chief Tyler Stewart.