Homecoming voting turnout increases slightly

Lee Norman and Allison Blackwell were elected Mr. and Ms. Mississippi State University Wednesday.
    Norman, a management of construction and land development major, received 389 out of 1,829 votes. Blackwell, a senior in elementary education, received 1,336 votes out of the total 1,778 votes cast, Student Association elections commissioner Stuart Tirey said.
    Tirey thanked all those who voted when he announced the winners Wednesday night in front of the SA office.
    “Because of you [voters],we increased voter turnout from last year,” Tirey said.
    He said there were 83 more votes this year than last year. Voting was held from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Mitchell Memorial Library and Perry Cafeteria on Wednesday.
    “The SA is happy with the voter turnout,” Tirey said. “We are always shooting for higher numbers but we were pretty impressed, considering all the things that are going on with The Union.”
    There was a significant difference in the turnout between the library and cafeteria. The library had 1,307 votes, and the cafeteria had 536.
    Tirey said this was the highest voter turnout in two years. He said the increased number of Mr. MSU candidates probably increased the number of voters. There were 10 Mr. MSU candidates and three Ms. MSU candidates.
    Norman, Sigma Chi fraternity president, said he ran for Mr. MSU because he has been a fan of MSU his whole life, and he wanted to take the opportunity to represent the university.
    “To be honest, I’m pretty shocked and surprised; there were a lot of good candidates,” Norman said. “I just got off the phone with my parents before they announced the winners, and I told them that I was just hoping for a runoff. I wasn’t expecting a clear-cut win.”
    Blackwell, Kappa Delta sorority president, said she ran for Ms. MSU because the university had been so special to her.
    “I just thought it would be something I could hold close to my heart when I left here.”
    Blackwell continued that she hoped she could represent MSU well, and said she was honored to have been chosen Mrs. MSU.
    “I have been so blessed here, and I just want to be able to give back,” Blackwell said. “It’s kind of overwhelming. I’m really excited. I’m glad people went out and voted.”
    Senior art major Sara Beth Parks won the title of Queen. She received about 76 percent of the vote with 1,401 votes.
    The Delta Gamma sorority member said she ran for Queen because she loves MSU and wanted to be able to represent it.
    “I want to continue to be involved in the activities here and help better reach students and alumni,” Parks, an Alumni Delegate, said. “I want to continue working with the students and alumni and keep them informed about the events at MSU.”
    Undeclared major Kristin (Blake) James and human sciences major Erika Adair won Freshman Maid. Sophomore Maids were apparel, textiles and merchandising major Avent Clark and animal and dairy science major Lauren Middleton.
    Junior Maids were Natalie Buchanan, a communication major, and Kylie Estes, an educational psychology major. Senior Maids were Courtney DeFoe, a communication major, and Lauren Springer, an English major.