Let’s not talk about sex

It is true that The Reflector has the right to run a sex column. However, a right does not constitute a need. The Reflector reads that a sex column in a USM paper, “…has received much scrutiny. Other college papers have experienced similar controversy.” Is The Reflector’s primary motivation for running a sex column based on the scrutiny received by other newspapers? The implication seems to be that The Reflector seeks the same attention. If that is the case, a sex column will likely serve the purpose well.
    For whatever it is worth, I vote against a sex column in The Reflector. Please consider the motives of those behind said column. I believe that Mississippi State students will be better served with a newspaper that does not seek to conform to others’ standards. It should be obvious that any sexually active college student will learn and allow enlightenment only when and where he or she desires. A column of neither statistics nor dialogue concerning sex is needed. A sex column will not improve the quality or content of The Reflector.
    Mary Walker
    Freshman
    Undeclared
    I just wanted to voice my opinion that a column concerning sex would be inappropriate for our paper. That is such a personal and intimate subject that I just don’t think it would be in any way appropriate to trivialize it by bringing it down to the same level as a sports column or something. I don’t think that a column in a campus newspaper would convince anyone to practice sex in a safer manner. If the column was written in such a way as to discourage the unsafe promiscuity that has been statistically proven to damage relationships over and over that would be one thing, but I figure it would be written more to present a really open liberal sort of view of it. Why chance encouraging people to do something that is so morally controversial just to be “open and accepting”? If you just want to encourage safe sex, then just throw one article in there. Don’t put it in regular columns that could so easily degrade into trash that’s just there to get attention. Thanks for caring what your readers think on stuff like this.
    OK, this is totally personal and “religous” or whatever, but I consider sex to be an amazing blessing that God gave us when he made humankind. He didn’t have to make procreation so much fun, but he did. I think just because he loves us. All he asks is that we treat it with respect as he intended. Society has messed up how we think of sex and taken away so much of what makes it intimate.
    Joel Stinson
    Graduate Student
    Mechanical Engineering
    We heard that The Reflector was considering starting a sex column and that you all wanted feedback as to whether it would be well received. We speak for ourselves and many friends in saying that we very much disapprove. We think that a sex column would be distasteful and provide a place for all kinds of inappropriate and crude writing. We hope The Reflector staff will consider our opinion in the decision and choose not to allow such a column to be a part of our school newspaper.
    Aaron Smith
    Junior
    Mechanical Engineering
    Chris Johnson
    Senior
    Mathematics
    I enjoy reading The Reflector. It informs the students of many upcoming events, top news and much more. However, I would not enjoy reading a weekly sex column. In fact, I would choose not to read The Reflector anymore.
    I know my opinion does not mean much to any of you. However, I feel that I am not the only person that feels this way about the future column. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. If a student wishes to read about sex they should subscribe to Cosmopolitan magazine. Most of all, I think that this column will cause more harm than good. I think it will cause a lot of controversy. It makes The Reflector look distasteful and tacky.
    Abby Lammons
    Freshman
    Industrial Engineer
    I do not want a sex column to be added to The Reflector. While I see your point in saying that college newspapers have the right to run the column, I feel that you are violating my core belief system by printing this. If I wanted to read about sex (which I do not), I would go buy a dirty magazine. I do not want my college newspaper to be equivalent to a dirty magazine.
    Lindsey Tillman
    Sophomore
    Chemistry
    I am writing in response to the editorial page that mentioned possibly creating a sex column for our Reflector. Though I’m sure a popular reason for this addition would be that there are different divisions of the news such as Local, National, Sports and Opinion that apply to many of the readers. For instance, readers who don’t care about sports can simply avoid the Sports section. This could be likewise applied to the new sex column.
    However, I see this issue quite differently. The Sports section (used only for example purposes), as with the other current sections of the paper, don’t directly stand against the views of the readers of the entire Reflector. Currently, each section simply provides information that appeals to each person differently.
    If The Reflector were to include a column for sex, I would equate it to The Reflector having a column for a single political party (imagine the political party that you do not represent in order to understand my perspective). Granted, this column might represent the views of some of the readers, but it would also represent the antithesis of readers such as I. These are the readers who perhaps have pledged abstinence instead of condoms and marriage instead of sexual promiscuity. The sex column would mean that The Reflector itself, and not the opinions of an article, stands against the very moral fiber and faith in Jesus that I live by.
    Also, opening a sex column would mean that the Reflector would need to consider opening a Democrat section, Methodist section, Society of Women Engineers section, etc. (I’m not taking a stand for or against any of these, but just expressing that they should be mentioned only in specific articles and not have their own section in a non-biased newspaper.)
    Joseph Dean Polk
    Graduate Student
    Mechanical Engineering