MSU student wins seat in World Series of Poker

Poker has grown so popular, it’s hard to imagine what it was like before it was broadcast 24/7 on ESPN and played religiously every night of the week wherever four or more are gathered in an apartment with beer and chips. Sure, it’s always been a popular game played weekly by a group of bored husbands and in Las Vegas, but since its first broadcast on television a few years ago, it has ballooned into a game with more popularity than many sports played today.
    Why? Because it’s an “every man’s game.” No matter your experience level or knowledge of the game, whether you’re a regular gym-goer or an artery-clogged couch potato, you can play poker because you don’t have to be an athlete to play. Also, you actually win money along with bragging rights … until the next game, of course.
    Wesley Wilburn, an MSU senior anthropology major, will have a chance at becoming a millionaire when he competes in the World Series of Poker tournament in July. Wilburn won first prize in an online tournament over Christmas break. That first prize was an all-expense paid trip to Las Vegas to play in the World Series of Poker.
    “It’s the biggest tournament in the world, and you get to play against the best players in the world. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” Wilburn said.
    Wilburn plans to finish school and graduate in December but doesn’t totally disregard the notion of taking up poker as a career.
    “It would take me winning a lot of money to take up playing poker full time,” Wilburn said.
    What used to be a game of middle-aged men now has players of every age, color and gender. Even many sewing circles have tossed out their beloved game of bridge for the less complicated game of poker, and just as many desperate housewives find themselves organizing poker nights as much as their husbands.
    Poker expert Lou Krieger attributes online gambling as a key player to poker’s fame. Krieger is a professional poker player, columnist and best selling author of several acclaimed poker books, including “Poker for Dummies” and “The Poker Player’s Bible.” He has also written more than 300 columns on poker strategy for Card Player magazine.
    “It’s easy to see why poker has gained popularity,” Krieger said. “The growth of online poker brought thousands of people into playing it. It democratizes the buy-in process so that you don’t have to pay a $10,000 buy-in like in the past.”
    “Take Chris Moneymaker for example,” he said. “He bought in on an online game with $40, won the top prize to play in the World Series of Poker tournament and ended up winning it.”
    Krieger’s advice for Wilburn is to play as well as he can, but he also notes that he has to be inordinately lucky as well, which is something no one has any control over.
    “The key is to stay alive the longest and avoid confrontation,” Krieger said. “If you go all in, you could go all out. The winner has always played well and was very lucky.”
    In addition to online gambling, Krieger also believes the use of the lipstick camera, which shows the cards in each player’s hand, has revolutionized how people watch poker on television.
    “Before, watching poker on TV was boring because you couldn’t see their cards,” Krieger said. “Once the camera was used and you could see what each player had, you could develop an interest in the players and the game. It turned poker into a real spectator sport, which in turn, made for some very compelling television.”
    Wilburn hopes he will become part of that compelling television on the World Series of Poker tournament and Krieger agrees that the odds are in his favor.
    “He’s in a great position already by having beaten over 5,000 online players,” Krieger said. “In the last few years unknown players have won, so he has a shot. He’s had great skill and luck thus far, so he needs to go there intent on playing his best and hope for good luck. But ultimately, only one person will win, so my advice is to just enjoy the process as much as possible.”