Charles in charge

Entering the 2005-06 college hoops season, Bulldogs basketball fans, spoiled by years of dominant post-play from Mario Austin and Lawrence Roberts, didn’t figure to see another key big man anytime soon.
    And who could blame them? When Mississippi State graduated its winningest class in its 93-year history, the team was left without its top six scorers and rebounders from a season ago. The rest of the roster was filled with either question marks or complete mysteries.
    And yet, just now entering February, sophomore forward Charles Rhodes tops the Southeastern Conference leader board in rebounding and ranks fifth overall in scoring.
    No one saw this coming. Except, of course, Rhodes.
    “I really did (expect this),” Rhodes said. “I’ve been working hard every day in practice, giving 100 percent. What you do in practice, the best is going to come out on the court. I think it was my time to show everybody that this is my year.”
    That this is Rhodes’ time has not been more obvious than the 71-53 win over Auburn last Saturday, when he had 21 points and 11 rebounds.
    In the previous game against Kentucky, his 21 points and 11 rebounds led to Mississippi State coach Rick Stansbury calling Rhodes the “best big man on the court.” Not too shabby, considering Wildcat center Randolph Morris had NBA aspirations last summer.
    Rhodes’ surprise success this season is a testament to a newfound work ethic. While he was never previously known as the best practice player, Rhodes has worked tirelessly to clear that image.
    “I worked hard in the offseason,” Rhodes said. “I did a lot of endurance (work). I ran a lot. I shot a lot of jump shots, too. I worked on all the phases of the game.”
    “To his credit, he’s found a way to translate practicing hard, and he’s seen the benefits of that in the game,” Stansbury reiterated. “He’s approached practice the same way every day in every drill. He’s become a much more consistent player. Remember, earlier, he wasn’t very consistent. I don’t know the last game he played that was a bad game. It hasn’t been an SEC game, to my knowledge.”
    And Rhodes is all about consistency. After the Bulldogs snapped a seven-game losing streak against the Tigers, Rhodes restated the need for consistency.
    “With this win over Auburn, we have to be consistent in the next few weeks against SEC opponents,” he said. “We just have to keep the consistency level high, and it’s going to continue to show on the court.”
    January’s dismissal of forwards Walter Sharpe and Jerrell Houston has had a profound effect on Rhodes both on and off the court. Only Rhodes remains from the 2004 Bulldog draft class.
    “Walter Sharpe leaving changed Charles Rhodes,” Rhodes said. “It changed me as a person because he was my best friend. But, you know, that’s how life goes sometimes. Right now, I can just sit, or I can work harder and harder. Him leaving makes me step up even harder because I’m doing this for him. I miss him.”
    The added concentration has paid off. Rhodes’ team-leading 17.3 point and 9.1 rebound average, not to mention his 1.67 swats, in conference play stands as one of the sharpest stat increases in the nation.
    And he isn’t just putting up all-SEC numbers. He’s spicing up games with bevies of spectacular plays, including a baseline jam after spinning off not one, but two Auburn defenders and an emphatic rejection of Kentucky star Rajon Rondo.
    “When you have the coaches believing in you, I don’t think nothing can stop you. My teammates have believed in me, and that’s been a big thing for me. Just playing in front of these fans-it’s a great thing to be playing here in Starkville.”
    Judging from the fans’ ever-increasing number of Charles Rhodes signs in The Hump, it’s safe to say that all is well in Rhodes Island.
    “I feed off the Rick’s Rowdies and the fans a whole lot,” Rhodes said. “Rick’s Rowdies is really what gets me going. When I see those guys cheering for us-and sometimes me-I get really excited.”
    Thankful for the opportunities he’s had, Rhodes credits the fans, his teammates and his coaches with his explosive play.
    “I just want to give thanks to the fans for supporting us when we’re losing and when we’re winning,” Rhodes said. “Since last year, I went through a lot, not playing and getting frustrated. Over the summer, I’ve matured as a person. That’s where so much of this is coming from. I’ve found more faith in myself, my teammates and the coaches. They’ve really been helping me out there on the court. I just want to thank them for having my back this year and pushing me. It’s all about work ethic.”
    With Rhodes playing the way he has been combined with his desire for consistency, it’s only a matter of time before he’s discussed as one of the top power forwards in the nation. And with the impressive freshman play from Oak Hill product Jamont Gordon, the future looks bright for Mississippi State.
    “Where do I see our future going with me and Jamont? I see it going to the Final Four,” Rhodes said.
    As crazy as it sounds, it’s hard to doubt him. Rhodes has been exceeding expectations all year.