God does not care about meetings

Some students on campus don’t attend BSU, RUF or Campus Crusade on a regular basis. Are they bad people? For the ones who would say “yes,” I have news for you. Participation in religious functions does not make one better in the eyes of the creator.
    I recently overheard a conversation between two girls while waiting for class. Girl “A” said she needed a job to pay for her Spring Break trip and “going-out money.” Girl “B” talked about her job and how she worked almost every day. Girl “A” continued her sob story, saying she couldn’t get a job because she had to attend BSU, RUF and Campus Crusades.
    Now, nothing is wrong with these committees; in fact, I support them, but God won’t disown anyone if sessions are missed in order to perform some secular tasks. Truth be told, God doesn’t require anyone to attend these functions in order to obtain his favor.
    I’m not saying girl “A” wasn’t a good Christian girl, but she and her friend talk loudly, so I often hear their conversations. And the other conversations usually included both girls talking about getting drunk and shacking up with guys, with the “f-bomb” usually being dropped a couple of times. These things are forgiven, of course, but what good is it to be a part of these groups when you completely forget the message presented in the meetings?
    Not all students are in the same boat as girl “A.” Another student who participates in these same functions was overheard praising herself for not drinking, not swearing and saving her virginity until marriage. Within a few minutes, she labeled some girl that walked by her because of the way she looked.
    Hmm … maybe I’m wrong, but I think that’s judging. And if I’m correct, I believe that’s just as wrong as the things she doesn’t do.
    I am weary of hearing people talk about how good they are, only to see them turn around and do something that completely contradicts what came out of their mouths. And yes, I might do some of the things these girls do, but I’m not the one saying I’m a great person.
    I’m also not saying these girls are bad people; I’m saying they are my equals. If I’m out partying and they are reading the Bible, it doesn’t make them better than me. It doesn’t mean I’m not going to read mine, and it doesn’t mean I’m going to Hell. God can forgive me just like he forgives them, whether I ask for the forgiveness at home or at a group meeting.
    By no means am I saying there aren’t good genuine people involved in these organizations. I’ve met many that fit this description. And I’m not claiming they aren’t teaching the right things.
    In fact, it has nothing to do with the people in charge or the group itself. It’s about the people who believe they are better than someone like me because they publicly announce they are “good people.”
    So, if these organizations were to shut down, would we have no good Christians left? Does belonging to one or all of these groups give one a label of being a good or bad person? Some say yes and some say no, but either way, they are on the same level of acceptance in God’s eyes.
    God’s favor is not measured by our participation or association with certain religious groups or functions, but by his grace alone. Participation in religious groups or activities is for one’s own edification, not for the right to boast one’s goodness. God doesn’t keep score that way. Neither should we.