Parking woes eased through Web site

The new online parking registration process will be ready for use this summer in mid-July. This new method will make it much easier for students, faculty and staff to register their vehicles for the fall semester before it actually begins.
    Manager of parking operations Mike Harris said students have been sent an e-mail informing them about the new registration, and another will be sent out at the end of May. Incoming freshmen and transfer students will be taught how to register during the summer orientation sessions.
    When the Web site for registration becomes accessible this summer, purchasing a decal will take mere minutes. All students will need to do is to log onto My Banner, register their vehicles and choose their preferred parking zones.
    It is very important that the correct mailing address is given because the decal will be sent to this address the day the vehicle is registered, Harris said.
    “We are hoping this will get more people to register, since they will not have to wait in long lines in the coliseum to get their decals,” he said. “There is no question in my mind that this will be better.”
    Students will not have to worry about getting parking tickets if they do not have time to purchase decals directly when the semester begins because they now have the chance to purchase decals before they arrive on campus.
    This process will not only lessen stress for campus drivers, but it will also take away confusion related to the parking zones on campus. If a zone is completely full, students will be asked to pick an alternate zone, Harris said.
    Parking operations is trying to improve the current parking situation for students, faculty and staff, he said. “We do not want to write tickets. We just want everyone to obey the rules.”
    Freshman elementary education major Laura McVean said she thinks the new form of registration will be much easier. “Before, students would have to stress about it when they got to school,” McVean said. “We had to wait in long lines to get our decals. This will be a lot more convenient.”
    Last year, freshman interior design major Audrey Trulsen said she got a parking ticket because she was not able to get her decal soon enough. “I think it will be a lot easier because it is one less thing to worry about when you get back to school.”
    In addition to the decal, a map of the various parking zones and a list of parking regulations will be sent to those who register their vehicles online. This is for the students’ benefit because they will know where they are allowed to park, Harris said. “We want students to get a decal, park in the correct zone and do things properly.”