Starkville should sell alcohol on Sundays

Alderman Richard Corey will try to lead Starkville in another progressive step by proposing the legal sale of alcohol on Sundays.
    The city could definitely use the extra revenue. Bars and some restaurants close on Sundays, which means the city could make money from not only more alcohol sales, also from but people dining out more.
    Think about it logically. The year holds many big events on Sunday, like the Super Bowl. This change in legislation would allow Starkville to actually reap the benefits of popular Sunday events.
    You can’t justify keeping alcohol sales illegal on Sunday. It’s legislating morality, and the law should stay as objective as possible. Plus, the current law is hypocritical in a nation of many religious beliefs. Jews practice the Sabbath on Fridays, so how is it fair to allow alcohol sales on Friday but not Sunday?
    The current law is also hypocritical in that it allows bars to sell alcohol between midnight and 1 a.m. on Sundays.
    Additionally, Highlands Plantation has an unfair business advantage. Being a semi-private resort, it can already sell alcohol on Sundays. No Starkville business should have such an advantage over others.
    Many have worried that the new smoking ban could subtract business from bars and restaurants. This new law could cancel some possible negative economical effects of the smoking ban.
    West Point and Columbus already allow alcohol sales on Sunday. It doesn’t make sense that Starkville, a college city, hasn’t taken a simple legislative step like this.
    Moreover, this progressive step could draw more people to Starkville and more students to MSU. Also, students could be more likely to stay on weekends if they knew they could visit certain bars and restaurants on Sundays.
    We need any kind of reasonable economical boost we can muster. And people should have their Sunday brunches and drinks. If nothing else, this legislation would eliminate a needless moral code.
    We hope the Board of Aldermen will consider taking another step in turning Starkville into a progressive college town.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Jed Pressgrove, news editor Sara McAdory, assistant news editor Wade Patterson, sports editor Ross Dellenger, entertainment editor Tyler Stewart, managing editor Dustin Barnes and editor in chief Elizabeth Crisp.