Embrace faith during Lent

The Lent season is well on its way, and if you’ve decided to give something up, you’re probably experiencing some withdrawal. That is, of course, if you’re like the majority of people and decide to give up food, sweets, coke or other things that help you shed a few extra pounds.
    However, if you’re not sure what to give up, don’t worry. Instead of giving up sweets, you can actually add some victuals to your diet-choice pickings of the Fruits of the Spirit. Rather than being juicy and rich in Vitamin C, these fruits promote good spiritual health and growth.
    The first fruits up for grab are peace, goodness and faithfulness. For the next month or so strive to be the peacemaker in every situation you can. Demonstrating your faithfulness through peaceable gestures and good will toward others will be beneficial in creating a more humble and thankful state of mind.
    Secondly, chill out. “Slow Your Roll” and stop and smell the sweet perfume of patience, gentleness and self-control. Being irritable and callous can only prevent you from opening your heart and truly appreciating the amazing reason for the Lent season.
    Thirdly, don’t be a sour puss but show the power of your faith through your inner joy and kindness. These are essential nutrients in both fostering and expressing the hope and victory that is inherent during this time of year. As you partake of this heavenly produce, remember that it does you no good to sit and gorge yourself on good food and not share it with others. Last, but definitely not least, love on everyone! Indisputably the number one recurrent motif of the Bible, to love is to fulfill the greatest commandment. But this isn’t a half-hearted, conditional or moody kind of love. This is the ultimate, sacrificial love that moved you to this task in the first place. What’s more, love encompasses all the other fruits-it’s like your daily bowl of 100% Total cereal.
    Of course, these are suggestions and in no way encompass all your spiritual needs or responsibilities.
    For many then, the practice of self-denial in order to draw closer to God should be a perpetual event. But don’t take my word for it; you can learn about these things by referencing Galatians 5: 22-23 and 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, both found in the New Testament, although I suggest reading the entire chapters.
    If you’re going to do something, go all the way. If you want to do something for Lent, why not do something that will help you with the other aspects of your faith, too? Remember that 30-plus years of obedience (a lifetime for Jesus) preceded the greatest sacrifice anyone could ever make.