Jabberwock comes to stands in early spring

Have the New York Times and USA Today become a little dry lately? Have Time and Sports Illustrated become a bit cliched? For the reader looking for a little flavor in their magazine or newspaper, the Mississippi State University Jabberwock is here. “The Jabberwock is a great, unique magazine. It goes beyond the scope of an everyday publication and creates a great read,” junior Daniel Nagle said.
    The Jabberwock-at a cost of $4 an issue-provides a medium of communication that differs from an ordinary magazine-students, members of the community and even those across the country have the opportunity to submit works of art. From art to fiction, and from poetry to fiction, the Jabberwock serves as MSU’s unique literary publication.
    The literary magazine is published biannually with the next issue tentatively scheduled for the beginning of the spring.
    The publication searches for material beyond the limits of Starkville. With planned advertisements in various publications such as the Writers Chronicle, Poets and Writers and The Directory of Literary Magazines, the magazine will accept work from across the globe.
    “It’s all fiction and poetry,” Becky Hagenston, faculty advisor, said. “We get submissions from all across the country and sometimes out of the country.”
    With a 13-member staff that includes newly selected co-editors Zackory Kirk and Adam Wear along with faculty advisor Hagenston, the publication is seeking more help.
    According to Hagenston, Jabberwock is looking for students interested in the material selection process, along with those proficient in desktop publishing, advertising or fundraising.
    “I think it (the first issue) will be a success,” Hagenston said. “We’re getting more and more well-known writers.”
    “This year’s Jabberwock’s staff is going to attempt to increase the recognition of our literary journal throughout literary communities,” Kirk said. “We want to really excel in marketing the journal. We hope to get alumni, high school students and other colleges to not only subscribe to Jabberwock, but to also take pride in its publication.”
    In the previous publication, Ellyn Bache, writer of the novel Safe Passage, submitted work.
    “We’re trying to attract more well-known names,” Hagenston said. “Once we do this, it (the magazine) will take off more.”
    The literary magazine is subsidized by the Office of the Provost, the College of Arts and Sciences, the University Honors Program, the department of English and subscriptions, according to www.msstate.edu/org/jabberwock.
    Submissions to the publication should be addressed to the editors of the Jabberwock and sent to P.O. Drawer E in the English department.