National act comes ot MSU

This fall Mississippi State University will be part of On the Road, a musical tour sponsored by Glamour magazine. This is the Glamour Venus Music Tour’s seventh year to present DJs at various university campuses across the country. MSU is one of just 10 universities that will host this tour.
    GlamourOs September issue featured a 17-page spread on the Atlantic Record’s artists whose music will be presented on the tour.
    The artists include Lina and Lava, Willa Ford and David Garza.
    The tour began at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City Sept. 6 and will end Oct. 9 at the University of California-San Diego. The Glamour Venus Music Tour comes to MSU Sept. 26. The DJs will begin at 11 a.m. and perform until 3 p.m.
    So how was MSU selected for this music tour? According to Karen Balley, director of public relations for Glamour in New York City, “Glamour sent information to various universities across the country and took the first schools who responded.”
    Not only will the tours include a DJ, but also student fashion shows, product sampling, sweepstakes and gift giveaways.
    Ford Quality Checked will have two Ford Focus automobiles equipped with Sony sound systems on display.
    There will also be a sweepstakes for a K2 mountain bike, roller blades or a snowboard for 10 winners.
    Other planned activities are: a model search conducted by Gillete Venus razors, an “Ultimate Goddess” sweepstakes for a trip to a New York City spa for a weekend and a best lips contest sponsored by Mentholatum Softlips to compete for a trip to New York City for a photo shoot in an upcoming Glamour issue.
    Nautica will sponsor a college fall fashion show where 10 students can win a Nautica outfit. Massages, facials and spa gift certificates will be given to 10 students by Ortho Tri-Cyclen.
    Hair products will be distributed by Pantene and Visa will hand out temporary tatoos along with gift cards and message boards.
    The main focus of this tour is the music that the DJs present.
    Freshman Dana Morgan of West Point comments, “I think it’s cool that Glamour is sponsoring this at Mississippi State, but it would be even better if it were the live bands instead of DJs.”
    Whatever the opinion may be of Glamour’s On the Road tour, MSU seems proud to host the DJs and participating advertisers.