NAMA helps all students

The National Agri-Marketing Association makes job hunting easier for students of all majors by providing employment contacts for students.”Most people think we are like an agricultural club, but we”re not,” President Brad Allen said. “We are open to all majors.”
    NAMA is a national organization that allows its members to gain knowledge of the agri-marketing field as well as make contacts for future employment. Students from agricultural economics, as well as students from marketing and communication, are encouraged to join.
    “There have been many students that have gotten jobs or had jobs waiting on them from being a member of NAMA,” adviser Suzanne Berry said.
    For a fund-raiser, NAMA sponsors a catfish fry. Their good-cook reputation has landed them catering positions for Garen Manufacturing and the National Bank of Commerce. The group also won third place in the Golden Triangle state fair catfish cook-off.
    The main part of the year for NAMA is the annual National Agri-Marketing Conference. Members put together a marketing plan on a given topic for a national competition.
    NAMA also offers a mentor program for its members. Professional members of NAMA volunteer to spend time with student members to give students an insight into the life of a professional.
    Each spring, the National Agri-Marketing Conference gives NAMA members a chance to meet students from other chapters and attend professional development seminars. Also at the National Agri-Marketing Conference, students can attend a career fair hosted by companies looking for new employees in a variety of fields.
    “One of the best things about NAMA is that it gives students exposure to professionals in their field,” Berry said.
    NAMA began in 1968 and has since grown into 34 accredited chapters with over 1,200 students. For more information, contact Suzanne Berry at 325-7985 or