Alabama outplays MSU soccer team

“We didn’t do anything right. Their gameplan was good; their intensity level was greater than ours; we deserved to lose this game.” Those were the words of coach Neil McGuire after a 2-1 defeat to the hands of Alabama, ending Mississippi State’s eight-game unbeaten streak at home. The Tide came into Sunday’s game with a conference record of 0-3 after losing to Ole Miss 1-0 Friday night.
    Mississippi State could not get anything going against Alabama as they outshot them 18-11 with Van Zandt getting six shots. The Bulldogs also had a 14-5 advantage in shots on goal (Van Zandt, 5). Their only goal came from Amber Rose with a header off the top shelf in the 18th minute.
    “We came out flat,” McGuire said. “We thought we were the better team, and we were proved definitely wrong. You have to give Alabama all the credit.”
    The team started eight freshmen and Sunday’s game can be a learning experience for them. Co-captain Amber Meesey said all they can do with a really young team is to take this and learn from their mistakes.
    “We gave it our hardest, and we just made stupid mistakes,” she said. “Mistakes can cost you a game sometimes.”
    Leading scorer Jessi Moore was held to only two shot attempts on the day. She said she believed that the team came out flat.
    “It was ugly. I think we came out and we were not prepared mentally or physically,” she said. “I think it showed that they wanted it more. We just didn’t have enough effort or intensity.”
    Mississippi State’s defense limited Alabama’s best two players to three shots. However, Ellen Sanders picked up the slack scoring 18 seconds into the second half, giving the Tide the lead for good.
    It was a physical game back and forth, with Alabama picking up 19 fouls; Misssissippi State had six. Rose had a minor knee injury, but she will be ready for the upcoming weekend.
    Moore said that the team needed to work more on supporting their checking runs. She also said that they are not shielding the ball enough and that they are getting pushed around too much.
    The win gave Alabama its first win in the conference (1-3) and dropped Mississippi State to 2-2 and second in the west.
    The Bulldogs host Vanderbilt and Kentucky this weekend. The Commodores will come into Starkville with a record of 4-4 (2-3 SEC) after upsetting previously unbeaten in the conference Georgia on Sunday, 2-1. Kentucky is 8-5 (2-3 SEC) after losing a heartbreaker to Tennessee 1-0 in double overtime. The game against Vanderbilt is set for 4 p.m. Friday; the game against Kentucky starts at 1 p.m.