Just a short month ago

Just a short month ago, one of the largest controversies surrounding air travel was the new phenomenon of “air rage.” Everyone, from Candid Camera to CNN, reported the increasing rates of violent arguments and actual fighting aboard airplanes across America. Screaming babies, obnoxious flight attendants and unruly tourists were overtaking the skies of America. We stood in long lines and put up with stupid people (half of whom are airport personnel) who seemed inconvenienced by our questions-questions we were forced to ask because the system was so confusing. Well, we still have to put up with the flight attendants (though it must be noted that they have sweetened up a bit), and the lines are longer, but air travel in America is exciting again. The babies are gone, along with their touristy parents. We now have armed soldiers touring our airports, not-so-stupid people checking the trunks of our cars and random luggage checks.
    Last weekend I flew to Santa Barbara, Calif., for a conference I attended with Young America’s Foundation (a conservative group who specializes in training conservative leaders on college campuses). During the course of my journey, I had three flights canceled, argued with a Continental Airlines superintendent, met someone from Armenia, had my luggage dumped out on a table to be searched through (underwear and all), spent a lot of time trying to figure out which old guy on my plane was the air marshal and was almost strip-searched by the people in charge of the metal detectors. The coolest part of the whole experience was chatting with an Army guy carrying an automatic rifle. I know that a lot of people are worked up because they are afraid that our civil liberties are being taken away, but please, give me a break. You do not have the right to curbside check-in; you do not have the right to carry deadly weapons on airplanes, and you do not have the right to fly. All of these things are mere conveniences meant to make commuting from one destination to the next easier.
    Anyone who would say that such things are God-given rights is detached from the problems and realities of society.
    We do have the right to freedom and the right to feel safe in our country. So, if I have to be patted down from head to toe so that the mother and 4-year-old daughter sitting next to me will feel safe, that is cool with me-and it should be cool with you. An armed soldier in an airport does not impede upon my freedom to read the newspaper, talk about politics or move about as I wish. Those are freedoms, and all of these precautions only seek to preserve our constitutional rights. So, fly across the country. Look at it as an adventure. Another thing-security personnel at airports should not be federal employees, and airlines should pay for the increased security measures.
    Concerning the first point, it is almost impossible to get rid of a federal employee. Federal employees are an institution within themselves, and I do not want an individual who is so secure in their job that they do not fear losing it to be in charge of my security. The cost of federalizing security personnel in airports is too high, and their productivity would be too low.
    Finally, airlines should pay for heightened airport security. They are the ones who receive the proceeds from our travel, and they are the ones who should be in charge of security procedures. If they do not comply, they will face retribution in the form of decreased passenger ticketing. It is called competition-it is a wonderful thing.
    – JENNIFER PHILIPS