Starkville residents question road sign

Some Starkville citizens want stop signs recently erected on Bridle Path and Cherry Lane removed despite the Oct. 12 Board of Aldermen’s decision to maintain them. Residents opposing the traffic signs said family connections with the board is the reason for support.
    A heated verbal exchange followed the first recess at the meeting. Accusations between Earl R. Thomas and Curt Crissey, both residents of Ward 5, interrupted the meeting while the board attempted resuming from the break.
    While both men were being interviewed in the hall outside the courtroom, Crissey and Thomas began to argue.
    Code compliance officer Johnny Mitchell left the meeting to inform the men that a police officer would be required if they did not disperse.
    During the previous session, Thomas addressed the board for half an hour while reading from letters, petitions and other documents opposing the placement of stop signs.
    He also requested homeowners in his neighborhood to show their support. More than 20 people stood up with him.
    “If a resident determines the road speed is too high, adequate posting should be made,” Thomas said. “We respectfully request that the stop signs be removed.”
    Thomas cited letters from Ward 5 Alderman Virgil Bolin to Mayor Mack Rutledge requesting investigation of the signs and further letters to public works director Bill Webb and the acting Starkville Police Chief, Capt. David Lindley.
    Lindley said the only criteria involved was to ensure no hazard would be created by the placement of traffic control devices, and his investigation found no such dangers.
    Webb said he had been against many stop sign requests in the past 18 years.
    “The first one I don’t object to we spend two hours discussing,” Webb said.
    Thomas said when one resident requests one alderman to gain action from the mayor it is “the epitome of political micromanagement.
    “So far as we know, the only residents requesting the signs were Bolin’s daughter and son-in-law.”
    Curt and Lisa Crissey live on Bridle Path with their 15-, 13- and 7-year-old children.
    “I had no idea this was going to happen,” Curt Crissey said. “People who have lived there are comfortable driving faster than they should. We wanted something done about it.”
    Lisa Crissey, accompanied by her daughter, spoke to the board.
    “I have four businesses. I have three children. I am unable to stay home,” Lisa Crissey said.
    Lisa Crissey also expressed that she wanted none of the heartache to continue.
    “The sign is not there to cause any problems except to slow traffic down,” Lisa Crissey said.
    Robert A. ‘Bob’ Weining Jr. said, “It was an improper use of the stop sign.”
    He told the board that there could have been other solutions like child at play signs.
    “Everybody in our subdivision is for safety,” said Weining, who spoke against the signs at the last meeting. “We need to look at how we solve problems.