Malcolm Portera addresses Starkville Rotary on MSU’s future and past

Progress and growth at Mississippi State University could not keep MSU President Malcolm Portera from accepting a higher paying position within a larger school budget at the University of Alabama System. Rotarian David Thornell introduced the headline-making president to the crowd of over 110 members and guests saying Portera, who “consciously sees the connection in quality of life and work”, will be missed.
    Portera took the floor and diverted the attention to the positive growth MSU has experienced over the past four years.
    “We are ranked highest in the state in research and highly in the country,” Portera said. “We are one of 36 NSF (National Science Foundation) Engineering Research Centers.”
    Portera emphasized the important role MSU has played in the advancement of Mississippi through its research and its key role in attracting the multibillion dollar Nissan production plant scheduled to produce sport utility vehicles beginning next year.
    “We are a state-assisted university,” Portera said. “Our growth of enrollment and research can only be attributed to the commitment that faculty and students have made.”
    After a slide-show presentation, Portera announced that his decision to leave MSU was a final decision. He added that he is leaving MSU for a university system with similar obstacles of growth ahead of them as MSU. However, he said he well be entering into a better budgeted system. The UA System has over $2 billion more in their budget than MSU.
    “I leave knowing we have a great team,” Portera said. “MSU has been successful in the recruitment of great key faculty and administration. When I leave Jan. 1, I will know we have one of the finest teams.”
    Ending the positive note of MSU’s growth in research and development, Portera gave advice to State supporters.
    “There is one dark cloud on the horizon-the state’s budget,” Portera said. “It’s the state support that we really need.”
    Portera’s short address left many members saying his leaving MSU will impact MSU and Starkville in many ways.
    “We’re very disappointed he’s leaving,” Andrew Gaston, former Rotary president, said. “He’s been an asset to the community and MSU.”
    “It makes me sick to see him leave,” Rotary member Hank Mosely said.
    After the meeting, Portera said he has only confidence in the selection and replacement of his position.