Christmas tree farms in style for students

With the close of the Thanksgiving holiday, after the turkey and dressing have digested, the beginning of another holiday season is filled with presents, Santa Claus and, most importantly, Christmas trees.Coming in a variety of shapes and sizes, the Christmas tree serves as the hallmark of the holiday season for some, and the students of Mississippi State University have not been left out of the festivities.
    From fake trees and “choose and cut” farms to pre-cut pines in front of Wal-Mart or other retailers, there is a variety for Starkville residents and MSU students.
    The “choose and cut” farms have been an appealing option for many students. According to Jeff Krans, owner and operator of Longview Christmas Tree Farm, a number of students come to the farm looking for trees.
    “We get groups of kids who live in apartments,” Krans said.
    Patrons can choose and cut their own trees, ranging in sizes from 3 to 12 feet. At $5 a foot, the trees are affordable for many students. The most common tree size sold by the farm is 6 to 7 feet and ranges in price from $30 to $35.
    Longview Christmas Tree Farm, located outside Starkville, principally grows Virginia pine and leylan cyprus. According to Krans, these trees “tolerate our climate and have adapted to our weather. They all have a Christmas tree shape.
    “For me, Christmas tree growing is a hobby. For a majority of growers, it’s a hobby. It’s using the land,” Krans said. “Most (growers) enjoy going outside and being with customers. It’s a family thing for us. We sell more than just a tree.
    “Getting the trees ready for the season takes maintenance throughout the (growing) season,” Krans said.
    Controlling the weeds, removing insects and disease and shaping the trees are just a few of the activities involved in cultivating the Christmas trees. With 10 acres of land devoted to Christmas tree cultivation, the Longview Christmas Tree Farm sells nearly 100 trees a season.
    There are a number of advantages to going to a “choose and cut” farm compared to buying a tree from a retailer or putting up an artificial tree. The main advantage, according to Krans, is freshness.
    “The trees trucked in are cut every November,” Krans said. “A fresh cut tree will last until Christmas with water (with) no problem. It can’t get any fresher with a live tree. It becomes a tradition with the family to cut the Christmas tree.”
    Junior mechanical engineering major Justin Crapps praised students who are buying trees for their homes.
    “I think this, in a way, is a great thing because Christmas always has been a part of home. Christmas trees remind you of Christmas,” Crapps said. “If students go out to purchase trees to put them in their apartments; that tells me that students want to feel at home. It’s a comfortable setting. A comfortable setting is advantageous when you are studying.”
    Regardless of how students obtain their trees, going to a “choose and cut” farm like Longview certainly serves as a viable and affordable option to MSU students.