SA Senate approves student budget

Financially struggling student organizations will reap benefits, thanks to Tuesday’s Senate meeting and the passing of the general appropriations committee’s $1,300 proposal to help fund the 13 new clubs. “It felt great passing the funds,” James Jennings, Aiken Village rep., said. “We are the voice of the student body, and it is great to be utilized for reasons that will help new groups on campus.”
    Jennings said all organizations can apply, but funds are limited. Those, like the East Mississippi Chapter of the National Weather Association/American Meteorological Society, who asked for and received funding turned in written requests to the Student Affairs office by Oct. 15.
    “The money will help get these organizations through March,” Graduate School Rep. Matthew Burnham, said.
    Burnham said it was a good feeling passing the appropriations bill Tuesday.
    “Most of these clubs are new and upcoming that we (Senate) feel need a little bit of a boost to help them mature as a club,” Burnham said.
    Burnham and Jennings said those groups who missed out for any reason can still get funding next semester. Written financial request forms can be picked up in the SA office and are due March 15.
    Also topping the Senate’s agenda Tuesday was the passing of two resolutions Fraternity Row Rep. Hunter Butler said may be of interest to students.
    The first resolution is to encourage the administration to instate an academic forgiveness policy.
    “The policy outlined would give students a chance to retake a class and replace the previous grade,” Butler said. “I’m very excited that we passed this resolution. However, I’m afraid it will just fall on the deaf ears of the administration yet again.”
    Butler said the SA Senate does not have the power to instate academic policies-it can just suggest.
    “All we can do is be a voice for the students and let the administration know about our complaints and how we feel about different issues,” Butler said.
    The second resolution passed was one encouraging the investigation of an off-campus shuttle system. Butler and Burnham said this issue has been on the minds of students for a while, but the poor economy and tight budgets may keep this from passing.
    Students curious about what is going on in the Senate are encouraged to attend the open meetings every first and third Tuesday of the month at 7:15 p.m. in the library auditorium.