2007’s Best Video Games

Super Mario Galaxy
    Nathan Gregory, Managing EditorNot only is “Super Mario Galaxy” the hands-down best video game of the year (which is saying something considering the slew of impressive 2007 releases), it might be one of the best releases ever. While the Wii has proven to be a saving grace for Nintendo after the Gamecube didn’t live up to expectations, this effort certainly boosted profits even more. Everything, from the playability to the graphics, is absolutely top drawer, making “Super Mario Galaxy” one of the strongest releases in years on any console.
    BioShock
    Tyler Stewart, Editor in Chief
    While “Super Mario Galaxy” is without a doubt the best video game of 2007, “BioShock” comes in at a close second, not simply for its amazing visuals, engaging game and sound designs and general replayability, but for making the first-person shooter relevant again. Some may argue that “Halo 3” is relevant, and while partly true, given its impressive ability to sell units and highly-addictive online multiplayer mode, “BioShock” gives people a taste of what FPS games should be and where they haven’t been since the original “Perfect Dark” for the Nintendo 64. Gamers are treated to gloss with innovative
    but still familiar and intuitive gameplay, a simple, engaging story and a main character who knows how to keep his mouth shut and his gun steady.
    And let’s not forget the strategy elements involved with the upgradeable ADAM and EVE power-ups, weapons customization and “Plasmid” powers. If this is a glimpse of the genre’s future, gamers should already be excited about their next Rapture encounter.
    Rock Band
    C.J. LeMaster, Online Editor
    Hardcore musicians would tell you quickly that “Rock Band’s” sole purpose is to minister to the talentless, but to those naysayers, I say this: I am a musician and I enjoy the experience.
    This game may not get you a record deal, but the dexterity and timing one learns while performing can pave the way for a career with real, yes, real instruments. “Rock Band” represents a remarkable turning point from the “Guitar Hero” franchise. It promotes the music-playing experience as secondary to playing together as a group and helping each other out.
    Teamwork, not 300-note streaks, is the name of the game here, and it works terrifically. With guitar, bass, drums (my favorite by far) and vocals, four friends can rock out to more than 50 tracks from artists like Weezer and Metallica.
    Game developer Harmonix also sent the game’s playability into the stratosphere by adding downloadable tracks (3 to 5 weekly) to be used in the game, meaning you won’t be stuck playing “Don’t Fear the Reaper” for hours on end. Unless, of course, you gotta have more cowbell.
    Guitar Hero III
    Andrew Le, Chief Designer
    “Guitar Hero III” is the fourth installment of the popular guitar game series. It has successfully made real guitarists resentful
    while instilling confidence in the worst musicians on Earth. But there is a fine line between being really good at a video game and being the loser that plays it way too much.
    Madden ’08
    Matt Watson, Opinion Editor
    As I grow more distant from the world of gaming, this one game still has a place in my life. Football is America’s true pastime,
    and as far as I’m concerned, “Madden ’08” is the only game that matters.