Bulldog Bash Line Up Announced

The ninth annual Bulldog Bash is scheduled to kick off the Southeastern Conference football season on Friday, Sept. 12. Matt Wertz will open for event headliner Gavin DeGraw.
    DeGraw released his newest self-titled album in May. The album charted at No. 7 on the Billboard’s Top 200 list. He found success with his big hit “In Love With a Girl,” which placed in the top five of the adult top 40 earlier this year.
    Other performers include Atlanta R&B group Whild Peach, country artist Jonathan Singleton, who co- wrote “Watching Airplanes” with Gary Allen, local bluegrass band Nash Street, reggae artist Exodus and former Drive-By Truckers member Jason Isbell.
    SA co-director of external events Brooke Grantham said the SA purposefully targeted bands that play a more subdued style of music.
    “We were really trying to go for easy listening for the most people,” Grantham said.
    SA co-director of external events Frances Luke said this year’s line-up will compliment the feel of Starkville’s Cotton District.
    “There is an aura the Cotton District has,” Luke said. “It’s very easy-going and laid-back.”
    Festival events, including a dunking booth, bungee run and a mechanical bull, will begin about 5 p.m. The first musical act will begin about 6:30 p.m.
    The main stage will be located on University Drive in front of Bin 612. The 32-by-32 foot stage will have an additional platform on each side for the speakers and other audio equipment.
    An additional stage will be located on Paige Avenue. Student Association President Braxton Coombs said the organization used its entire $62,000 budget for the event. The SA began raising funds and booking bands for the festival in April.
    “This is the largest fundraising year for Bulldog Bash,” said Coombs.
    Coombs said he is expecting the largest turnout ever for this year’s Bulldog Bash. In the past year, the festival hit record attendance levels with an estimated 30,000 people.
    MSU sophomore Sarah Smith said Bulldog Bash is one of her favorite Starkville events.
    “Bulldog bash is always a great time. I am going to be there to hear Gavin DeGraw,” said Smith.
    Many Starkville businesses are sponsoring this year’s Bulldog Bash. The top sponsor is MSU’s Alumni Association.
    The stage sponsor is Rick’s Café, and associate sponsors are AT&T and Metrocast.
    Other sponsors include Bancorp South, 21 Apartments, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco and many more.
    As always, admission is free to Bulldog Bash.