Successfully Bashed

The ninth annual Bulldog Bash welcomed a near record crowd of MSU students, Starkville residents and visitors from all over the Southeast Friday night.
    Student Association Secretary Whitney Holliday said the SA was happy with the event’s set-up and outcome.
    “We have been setting up for the concert since 7 a.m. this morning and will be here all night cleaning up,” she said on Friday, “but it’s all worth it for the university and the students.”
    MSU students appeared just as happy with this year’s show. Senior communication major Michelle Wood said this year’s event brought out a higher quality of musical talent.
    “The concert was a lot of fun and a huge crowd came out,” Wood said. “Bands were a lot better this year and the crowd was not as congested between the two stages.”
    Organizers of this years’ festival changed the location of the second stage to Page Avenue. This move was given mixed reviews by concertgoers and performers.
    Nash Street violinist Hannah Melby said the new venue for the second stage allowed for more people to enjoy the group’s music.
    “I liked the new location of the stage,” Melby said. “It is a bit different, but it allowed for a much bigger area for people to stand and listen.”
    Starkville resident Nan Newman didn’t like the proximity of the second stage to the main stage.
    “I thought the second stage was too close to the big stage,” Newman said. “This is my third bash and it seems like the two stages are always too close.”
    Bash attendees enjoyed musical acts varying from country to reggae, hip-hop to pop.
    Concert headliner Gavin DeGraw said he enjoyed the night not only for the large crowd, but also the energy everyone brought to the show.
    “I had a blast playing for everyone,” DeGraw said. “It was so cool to play my music for a crowd that had so much energy, and I was able to tap into that football mania everyone had.”
    Exodus singer Nathaniel Kent said although his band had not been to Starkville in some time, it will soon return due to the success of the band’s set.
    “It has been nearly eight years since we last came to Mississippi State,” Kent said. “The audience was thirsty for reggae.”
    While thousands of MSU students attend Bulldog Bash, the concert also brought in college students from across the state and Southeast.
    Mississippi College freshman Anna Boyd said she attended the concert because she wanted to visit with her friends at MSU and to see DeGraw.
    “We do not have concerts or parties like this at MC so this is a lot of fun,” she said.
    University of Mississippi freshman Madison Helms said concerts like this are not put on at her school.
    “We can get down at Ole Miss, but not like this,” Helms said. “We don’t have concerts like this in the street. This is so much more fun.”
    As the night concluded, DeGraw spoke to the crowd and gave his thoughts about the event and those in attendance.
    “It’s a beautiful evening,” DeGraw said. “It’s even better when you are with people you want to be with.”