Soccer Dawgs face C-USA teams

This weekend the Mississippi State soccer team (4-3) carries a two-game winning streak into its final two non-conference matches.
    MSU meets last year’s C-USA regular season and tournament champion Memphis (3-2-1) Friday before heading to Hattiesburg to meet Southern Mississippi (4-2-1) on Sunday.
    “Memphis are a very good program. They will be a real challenge for us,” said MSU coach Neil Macdonald.
    Memphis, the second 2007 NCAA Tournament team the Bulldogs have faced this season, comes into Friday’s game following a string of mixed results. Most recently, the Tigers won 3-0 against Oklahoma before dropping a home 2-1 decision to No. 21 Colorado. The Tigers have also defeated SEC teams Alabama and Mississippi. Perhaps the Tigers’ strongest game of the season was a loss in their opener at Notre Dame, who currently tops the coaches’ poll as the best team in women’s soccer.
    The Bulldogs have recently seen their riches in attack begin to pay dividends, and MSU will start three strikers for the first time this season against Memphis. The ambitious attack is anchored in the confidence MSU has in its defense, which has only conceded one goal in the last three outings. “I’ve said it before. I will put our back four against anyone,” Macdonald said.
    The Tigers have scored nine goals on the season and have relied on sophomore Vendula Strnadova to spark the attack. Her two goals and two assists lead Memphis in those categories. Memphis has a stong attacking team that has created 92 shots on the season and only let its opponents generate 19 shots on goal.
    Sunday, State travels to play against in-state foe Southern Miss. Southern started the year with three wins that saw it claim the Bulldog Classic early season tournament title. After wins against fellow MSU opponents South Alabama, Northwestern State and Arkansas Little-Rock, recent results have gone against the Golden Eagles as they have dropped 1-0 matches against Mississippi and Louisiana-Lafayette.
    “The pitch in Hattiesburg is small and bumpy,” Macdonald said on the poor quality of USM’s field. “It can change the way teams play, but we will go out and play like we always do. We’ll try to earn the ball and play for possession.”
    Macdonald is putting pressure on MSU’s midfield and attack for this weekend.
    “Kevyn Shelledy [midfielder]has proven that she can be harmful in every game, and the forwards are all performing well. We are confident there as well,” Macdonald said.
    Shelledy is tied with freshman striker Taylor Turnipseed for the team lead in goals. Last weekend Shelledy, Turnipseed and Katelyn Graben netted two goals each against Nicholls State.
    Graben led the Bulldogs in goals scored last season but has struggled to return to fitness this year.
    “Each game has been a different step in the fight to get to fitness, but the team and coaches have been encouraging,” Graben said.
    However, even since Graben has been back, her spot in the starting 11 has not been guaranteed.
    “The freshmen are really strong. We have to compete for every spot. That is a luxury that we didn’t have last
    year,” she said.
    The solid Bulldog defense is anchored by Bethany Frazier, Hannah Tyler and Meredith Jacobson.
    “I think you need a starting base. We have experience together and we all played together last year,” Frazier said of the defensive partnership.
    The three have played together for 577 of 637 minutes of total game time this year. Frazier plays as a wing back who is expected to make 50 yard attacking runs then return to defense.
    “I just have to stay mentally focused to keep from getting out of whack and rely on my teammates. That comes with experience,” Frazier said.
    Memphis holds a 6-5-1 record all-time against the Bulldogs, including currently holding a three game winning streak. MSU has won its last two games against Southern Mississippi to now hold a 2-1 all-time edge over the Golden Eagles.